Free Crochet Chevron Pattern

Winter Waves Chevron Cowl
Free Crochet Cowl Pattern

This simple chevron cowl is super easy and quick to work up. The punch of ombre color blocking really gives it a great visual punch.

free crochet pattern - Winter Waves Chevron Cowl #cre8tioncrochet

• This post contains affiliate links. You can click on any yarn or material highlighted to purchase
  • By using this pattern you agree to the Pattern Terms of Use set forth by Cre8tion Crochet

Click HERE to add this pattern to your Ravelry Favorites
Click HERE to Pin It for later

Materials

Red Heart With Love in main color- I used Eggshell- approx. 300 yards
Red Heart With Love in three accent colors- approx. 20 yards each
6.0 mm (J) hook
Embroidery needle

Gauge
1 complete chevron (12sts) and 5 rows = 3 ½”

Finished Measurements
13 ½” long by 13 ½” wide

winter waves stitch detail #cre8tioncrochet

Special Stitches

dc3tog- double crochet three together
Yarn over (YO) and insert hook in first st.  YO and pull through st (three loops on hook).  YO and draw through two loops (two loops left on hook).  YO and insert hook in second st.  YO and pull through st (four loops on hook).  YO and draw through two loops (three loops left on hook).  YO and insert hook in third st.  YO and pull through st (five loops on hook).  YO and draw through two loops (four loops left on hook).  YO and draw through all four loops on hook.

Pattern

1. Beginning with main color. Chain 44

2. 1dc in the 4th chain from hook (counts as two dcs in first ch). 1dc in each of the next 3 chs. *Dc3tog. 1dc in each of the next 3 chs**. 3dc in next ch. 1dc in each of the next 3 chs***. Repeat from * to ***  2 times.  Repeat from * to **. 2dc in last ch.

3. Ch3 and turn. 1dc in the first st (counts as two dcs in first st). 1dc in each of the next 3sts. *Dc3tog. 1dc in each of the next 3sts**. 3dc in next st. 1dc in each of the next 3sts***. Repeat from * to *** 2 times.  Repeat from * to **. 2dc in last st (top of Ch3 from previous row).

4-16. Repeat row 3.

17-22. Repeat row 3, changing color every two rows for the ombre accents.

23-41. Repeat row 3, using main color. On last row, fasten off leaving a 18-20” tail.

42. Mattress stitch ends together.  (great tutorial by Moogly can be found HERE)

I hope you enjoyed this free crochet cowl pattern for the Winter Waves Chevron Cowl.
Matching slouch hat pattern HERE

Toddler Chevron Cowl available HERE

Comments

1. 1

Chris says

Lovely pattern. Seems to be a slight error though. I think the initial chain should be 44 in order to use the last three chains as the first double crochet and still have enough chains leftover to work all the waves.

2. 7

Cyndee says

Another fabulous pattern! Thank you so much! It worked up easily and quickly and will look fabulous in so many color combinations!

3. 10

Sadie says

I love this pattern! I am a beginner crocheter, and I’ve finished up to the fourth color, but I’ve noticed that it’s hard to tell that the pattern is chevron. Do you know what I can do to fix this?

4. 12

Sadie says

I think I have fixed the problem! I used some (old!) yarn from my grandma as one of my colors, and I think they were different weights. It looks much better now that I’ve changed yarns!

• 16

Lorene says

you’ll need to go up to 54 chains. It must be done in multiples of 10 + 4 (14, 24, 34, 44, 54) etc.

5. 18

Lorena says

At the end of the 3rd row, I have done 3 dc in each sc after 3dc in a sc and I have 3 remaining stitches left… Is that supposed to happen? Thanks :)

• 19

Lorene says

You should not have any remaining sts left at the end of the row. I’m not sure what sc’s you are speaking of though? There are no sc’s in this pattern at all.

6. 20

Lorena says

Oops sorry, I meant stitches. I’m going wrong somewhere… :) thanks for your response. I’ll keep trying.

• 21

Lorene says

Are you positive you are dc3tog and not just 2? Let me know if you need any further clarification on anything, good luck.

7. 22

Hannah says

This is a beautiful pattern and I’m so excited to finish my project! I do have a question though, I start with 44 chains but as I go I appear to be losing stitches. I get to the 5th or 6th row and I am already down to 30 something stitches. I haven’t been using the 3 chain stitches at the beginning of each row, should I be? Please tell me so I can figure out where I’m going wrong! Thank you!

• 23

Lorene says

Yes you need to be using the Ch3 at the beginning of each row, it counts as the first dc (as stated in the pattern). In order to get the same results than you need to actually follow the pattern as it is written. Be sure to count your sts in every row… each row needs to have exactly the same amount of stitches.

• 24

Hannah says

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong! I was using a decrease stitch rather than increase which was causing a loss of a stitches. I am following the pattern but I now have another question- I’m new to crocheting! Before doing the 2dc at the end of each row should the stitch before the 2dc be the same every single time or does it begin to change as the pattern goes? Thank you for your help so far, it has been great!

8. 26

Hannah says

Thank you so much for all your help! I have actually finished the cowl now and it looks wonderful! I found a helpful video on YouTube that had a similar pattern so I was able to answer some of my own question using that after posting my previous comment. The video can be found here for anyone else who is a visual learner like me:

Thanks again for posting this pattern Lorene, I love it! :)

9. 30

mrs vee makes says

Thanks for your version of the chevron stitch! Love it and can’t wait to make one for the upcoming winter and also thanks for sharing all your crochet knowledge:) There are just too many patterns and not enough time to make everything I want to! Thanks again!

10. 31

Tracie says

Hi, I love this design! It’s fantastic!

I’m going to change the colors so it’s more for fall but I want to do one for winter as well. What colors do you use for the accents?

Thanks so much!

11. 32

Jessica says

Hi. Thank you so much for your free patterns! You make really cute scarves! I was wondering if I could have permission to sell completed items that I make using your pattern? Please let me know. Thanks so much!

12. 41

Sofia says

I love this Cowel n I’m trying to make it for a friend but my rows keep decreasing and I’m working my dc to the end stitch ??? Any tips on what I can do or what I’m doing wrong ???

• 42

Lorene says

there are 2dc’s in the end st… is that the problem maybe? Go through and read each direction to make sure you are completing all the sts… sometimes it is easy to skip one. good luck

13. 43

Sofia says

So I only have to do 2 dc in the last St or in the second n last St ?? Cuz ur pattern say wrk up to the second last St ???

• 44

Lorene says

You do the repeat up until the second to last st… then do 2dc in the actual last st. I have rewritten the directions a little bit to make more sense.

14. 45

says

Hi, I’m having some trouble with this pattern… on the first row. I’m following it to a tee (I’ve carefully followed it, made sure my chain is 44 etc.)

When I get to the part I should do 2DC in final ch… I actually have 11 ch left. Every time. Nobody else seems to be having this problem, but I’ve now done this four times. Have I completely missed something?!

• 46

Lorene says

I’m sorry, I made a correction to the pattern yesterday, that repeat should be two times, not one time, sorry.

Trackbacks