Free Crochet Chevron Pattern

by Lorene on March 1, 2014

Winter Waves Chevron Cowl
Free Crochet Cowl Pattern

This simple chevron cowl is super easy and quick to work up. The punch of ombre color blocking really gives it a great visual punch.

free crochet pattern - Winter Waves Chevron Cowl #cre8tioncrochet

Materials

Red Heart with love in main color- I used Eggshell- approx. 300 yards
Red Heart with love in three accent colors- approx. 20 yards each
6.0 mm (J) hook
Embroidery needle

Add this pattern to your Ravelry Queue

ravelry 4

Gauge
1 complete chevron (12sts) and 5 rows = 3 ½”

Finished Measurements
13 ½” long by 13 ½” wide

winter waves stitch detail #cre8tioncrochet

Special Stitches

dc3tog- double crochet three together
Yarn over (YO) and insert hook in first st.  YO and pull through st (three loops on hook).  YO and draw through two loops (two loops left on hook).  YO and insert hook in second st.  YO and pull through st (four loops on hook).  YO and draw through two loops (three loops left on hook).  YO and insert hook in third st.  YO and pull through st (five loops on hook).  YO and draw through two loops (four loops left on hook).  YO and draw through all four loops on hook.

free crochet pattern winter waves chevron cowl #cre8tioncrochet

NOTE- pattern originally said Ch41- correction was made, as pattern should say Ch44- sorry for any confusion!

Pattern

1. Beginning with main color. Chain 44

2. 1dc in the 4th chain from hook (counts as two dcs in first ch). 1dc in each of the next 3 chs. *Dc3tog. 1dc in each of the next 3 chs. 3dc in next ch. 1dc in each of the next 3 chs. Repeat from * to second to last ch. 2dc in last ch.

3. Ch3 and turn. 1dc in the first st (counts as two dcs in first st). 1dc in each of the next 3sts. *Dc3tog. 1dc in each of the next 3sts. 3dc in next st. 1dc in each of the next 3sts. Repeat from * to second to last st. 2dc in last st (top of Ch3 from previous row).

4-16. Repeat row 3.

17-22. Repeat row 3, changing color every two rows for the ombre accents.

23-41. Repeat row 3, using main color. On last row, fasten off leaving a 18-20” tail.

42. Mattress stitch ends together.  (great tutorial by Moogly can be found HERE)

I hope you enjoyed this free crochet cowl pattern for the Winter Waves Chevron Cowl.
Stay tuned for the matching slouch hat pattern, coming soon!

You may also like…

Bulky Striped Cowl

striped bulky cowl free crochet pattern

Zola Stacked Shell Cowl

Zola Bulky Stacked Shell Cowl FREE pattern from Cre8tion Crochet

Newsboy Slouch

newsboy slouch free crochet pattern

Sea Breeze Slouch

sea breeze summer hat free crochet pattern #cre8tioncrochet

Chris March 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

Lovely pattern. Seems to be a slight error though. I think the initial chain should be 44 in order to use the last three chains as the first double crochet and still have enough chains leftover to work all the waves.

Lorene March 3, 2014 at 1:06 pm

You are right I’m sorry, it is 41 plus three for a turning chain, so 44 it is… thank you.

Mary @ Go Crochet Crazy March 14, 2014 at 10:42 am

I love your cowl; it’s gorgeous!! I found you through Crochet Addicts link party. I invite you to join mine if you like, at http://www.GoCrochetCrazy.blogspot.com

Lorene March 14, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I’m glad you liked it, thank you. I will join your link up as well.

Susan D Crochet Addict UK March 15, 2014 at 3:40 am

Fantastic pattern. Thanks for sharing. I love the colour mix!

Kate March 19, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I LOVE these colors together! The pattern is great! Thanks for sharing!

Cyndee March 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Another fabulous pattern! Thank you so much! It worked up easily and quickly and will look fabulous in so many color combinations!

Mary @ www.GoCrochetCrazy.blogspot.com March 21, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Lovely patterns, as usual. Thank you so much for sharing! Your shrug would be so perfect for my Spring Fling Link-a-Long if you’d like to share. :)

Lorene March 21, 2014 at 4:37 pm

The Zola Bulky Stacked Shell Cowl/Shrug?

Sadie March 23, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I love this pattern! I am a beginner crocheter, and I’ve finished up to the fourth color, but I’ve noticed that it’s hard to tell that the pattern is chevron. Do you know what I can do to fix this?

Lorene March 24, 2014 at 7:58 am
Sadie March 24, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I think I have fixed the problem! I used some (old!) yarn from my grandma as one of my colors, and I think they were different weights. It looks much better now that I’ve changed yarns!

Lorene March 24, 2014 at 8:16 pm

yay, yarn choice can make a big difference! Glad it worked out!

Edna March 28, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I like it I will make one for me. Thank you very much for ssharing.

nora March 28, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Im a semi rookie, love your pattern but I would like to make it wider do I add in with odd numbers?

Lorene March 28, 2014 at 8:37 pm

you’ll need to go up to 54 chains. It must be done in multiples of 10 + 4 (14, 24, 34, 44, 54) etc.

Lorena May 26, 2014 at 7:23 pm

At the end of the 3rd row, I have done 3 dc in each sc after 3dc in a sc and I have 3 remaining stitches left… Is that supposed to happen? Thanks :)

Lorene May 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

You should not have any remaining sts left at the end of the row. I’m not sure what sc’s you are speaking of though? There are no sc’s in this pattern at all.

Lorena May 26, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Oops sorry, I meant stitches. I’m going wrong somewhere… :) thanks for your response. I’ll keep trying.

Lorene May 28, 2014 at 7:57 am

Are you positive you are dc3tog and not just 2? Let me know if you need any further clarification on anything, good luck.

Hannah June 23, 2014 at 6:06 pm

This is a beautiful pattern and I’m so excited to finish my project! I do have a question though, I start with 44 chains but as I go I appear to be losing stitches. I get to the 5th or 6th row and I am already down to 30 something stitches. I haven’t been using the 3 chain stitches at the beginning of each row, should I be? Please tell me so I can figure out where I’m going wrong! Thank you!

Lorene June 23, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Yes you need to be using the Ch3 at the beginning of each row, it counts as the first dc (as stated in the pattern). In order to get the same results than you need to actually follow the pattern as it is written. Be sure to count your sts in every row… each row needs to have exactly the same amount of stitches.

Hannah June 24, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong! I was using a decrease stitch rather than increase which was causing a loss of a stitches. I am following the pattern but I now have another question- I’m new to crocheting! Before doing the 2dc at the end of each row should the stitch before the 2dc be the same every single time or does it begin to change as the pattern goes? Thank you for your help so far, it has been great!

Lorene June 27, 2014 at 6:39 am

It is always the same for every row…. good luck!

Hannah June 27, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for all your help! I have actually finished the cowl now and it looks wonderful! I found a helpful video on YouTube that had a similar pattern so I was able to answer some of my own question using that after posting my previous comment. The video can be found here for anyone else who is a visual learner like me:

Thanks again for posting this pattern Lorene, I love it! :)

Lorene June 27, 2014 at 3:02 pm

You are very welcome!!! I’d love to see a picture!!!

Justine July 2, 2014 at 10:50 am
Lorene July 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Unfortunately no pattern in the world is completely unique and never been done (by someone, somewhere) before. but I can assure you that I’ve never copied another pattern in my life. And honestly I do not think these look similar at all… different type of chevron, different shape and different size.. but if you want to go take a look there are about 1000 chevron cowls out there. So I’m assuming that you have written to ALL of theses designers.