V Puff Stitch Slouch- Chloe

by Lorene on October 18, 2013

Chloe Slouch
V Puff Stitch Slouch Hat

This stylish slouch hat is functional and fashionable.  The V puff stitches give this slouch stunning visual appeal.  I especially love the colorway (Pewter) but it will look great in any color.

You can find the matching Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl HERE

free crochet slouch hat pattern- the chloe- v puff stitch slouch by cre8tion crochet

add this pattern to your Ravelry que

ravelry 4

Skill Level
Skilled Beginner-Intermediate

Special stitches

VPS- V Puff Stitch
*Yarn over (yo), insert hook in stitch (st), yo, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops. Chain 2 repeat from * one time.

vps

VPS Incr- V Puff Stitch Increase
[*Yarn over (yo), insert hook in stitch (st), yo, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops**.  Chain2] 2x.  Then repeat from * to **

vps increase

VPS Dec- V Puff Stitch Decrease
*Yarn over (yo), insert hook in stitch (st), yo, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops. Chain 1 repeat from * one time.

vps decrease

Pattern notes

• Chain 2 to begin each round, then complete first VPS- skip over Ch2 and sl st into the top of the first st (vps or sc) to join each round
  •  Sl st into the first ch2 sp to begin next vps round
  •  Do not chain 1 on sc rounds
  •  Ch1 in between every VPS or VPS increase. Do NOT ch between VPS decreases
  •  Check gauge

stitch detail chloe v puff stich slouch

Gauge
3 rounds= 4 ¼” from widest point to widest point

Materials
Red Heart With Love (or any heavy worsted weight yarn- obtain gauge)
5.5 mm (I) hook (or hook needed to obtain gauge)
tapestry needle

1- Mc/r with 6 VPS <6 VPS’> watch this video tutorial for the magic circle/ring
2- VPS Incr in every ch 2 sp
3- VPS in every ch2 sp <12 VPS’>
4- *VPS Incr in next ch2 sp. VPS in next ch2 sp. Repeat from * around
5- VPS in every ch2 sp <18 VPS’>
6- *VPS Incr in next ch2 sp. VPS in each of the next two ch2 sps. Repeat from * around
7-16 VPS in every ch2 sp <24 VPS’>
17- VPS dec in every ch2 sp
18- 1sc in every st around <72>
19- *1sc in each of the next 4sts. sc2tog in next st. Repeat from * around <60>
20 1sc in every st around <60>
21- fasten off and weave in ends

chloe slouch chart

I hope you enjoyed the Chloe V Puff Slouch Hat.  If you like what you see please share it.  Your continued support allows me to bring you more FREE crochet patterns.  If you have ANY questions, please comment below and I’ll do my best to help you out!

Be sure to make the matching Cowl

Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl

Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl Free Pattern brought to you by Cre8tion Crochet

You may also like any of these other hat patterns brought to you free from Cre8tion Crochet

Free Women's Hat Patterns

Have fun and as always…
happy hookin’

Isabel October 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I so live this hat but i am a bit confused on the pattern. Do your pattern numbers represent rows or is it more a step by step instruction? I also looked at the diagram and have not been able to match the steps to the diagram…. Can u help me? Thank You, Isabel

Lorene October 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Each row is a round. I’m not sure why you don’t think the diagram matches the written pattern. Did you read the pattern notes and special stitches explanations?

Isabel October 20, 2013 at 12:09 am

I did read it all… Im not the greatest at reading patterns :( so does the mc start with 6 or 12?

Lorene October 20, 2013 at 9:27 am

The mc starts with 6 VPS which in simple terms is really 12 half puff stitches with chains in between. Do this… 1 half puff stitch (*Yarn over (will be referred to as yo from now on), insert hook in stitch (will be referred to as st from now on), yo, pull through st (you will have 3 loops on your hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops) then chain 2. Then repeat another half puff stitch and chain 1. Then do that whole thing 5 more times for a total of 6 VPS.

Hope that helps you out.

Isabel October 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

Yes…. That does help me out trememdously! Thank you muchfor taking the time to explain to me….!

Mary October 20, 2013 at 10:50 am

Lorene, Thank you so much for the pattern! I have done so many different slouch hats and haven’t been pleased with them. The minute I saw this one I knew it was what I had been looking for. It worked up like a dream and will be my go-to-pattern for future slouch hats!

Lorene October 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm

awesome, I’m so glad you liked it, I think it is my favorite too. I am working up a similar style with the same stitch but different look.

Darrya October 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hi Lorene, can you do a video tutorial on the V Puff stitch? I just need a little help getting this one going.
Thanks much.

Lorene October 21, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I plan on doing one soon.

Isabel October 24, 2013 at 9:47 am

Thank u for sharing the pattern to this beautiful hat! I sure did enjoy making it. Also thank u for ur prompt response in helping me with the pattern!

Lorene October 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

You are very welcome, so glad you liked it!!!

Krissy December 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hi there! Pattern looks beautiful and I’m working on it now but I feel like I’m missing something. After round 6 I’m a little confused. Round 7 says “16 vps in every chain 2 sp? Then it goes to round 17? I’m probably missing something, any help u could give I’d appreciate it!

Lorene December 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm

It says rounds 7-16. You probably just didn’t see it, lol. Glad you like the pattern.

Krissy December 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Ahhhh, I see now. I knew I was doing something silly. Thanks so much for your help!

Elly December 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I absolutely LOVE the look of this hat, but I’m still a bit of a beginner and have some trouble reading patterns… any plans to create a video tutorial? I can’t wait to try it out! Thanks!

Lorene December 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I do have plans to make one but my filming has been put on hold for a little while (my little one doesn’t nap anymore and I need new lighting if I’m going to film at night after she goes to sleep… trying to set up a schedule so hubby can take her for the day so I can film but his work has been so busy)

MichaelM December 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I am presently crocheting my fifth Chloe in two weeks. My fingers are numb; but my friends love this hat. I’ve done it in beige with green stripes, Purple with a black rose with a purple black button for the center, two blacks one with a pink rose the other with a red rose, currently working on blue…

Britney January 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I love the hat! BUT…should it be ruffling (sp?) up at the join? I’ve taken it out three times because I can’t get it to come out right. I’ve been crocheting for 16 years, but this is the first hat I’ve attempted so I’m probably screwing something up lol

Lorene January 23, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Britney January 24, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I got it fixed! I had been doing the join wrong. My grandmother has been making this hat and she helped me haha she’s a lot better than I am at patterns like this :)

Melanie April 5, 2014 at 7:13 am

Love this hat and just finished it using cleakheaton nautical which looks thicker than what you have used. It was looking a bit big and I kept checking the gauge but must be doing something wrong. Can you explain how you check the gauge for this hat? Looks like I will be starting again with a smaller hook

Lorene April 5, 2014 at 8:08 am

I’m not sure how to answer this… gauge is measured the same way for this hat as would be for any project. The first three rounds equal 4 ¼” from widest point to widest point. The hat is a slouch so it gets really large and then tapers back in. It does fit loose. If you like the slouch of the hat but the band is too big than you can just switch to a smaller hook for the band, or add a couple decreasing stitches. If the yarn you used is thicker than what I used than the overall product will be bigger. good luck

Melanie April 5, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Thanks. Just had a brainwave, do you mean the diameter? If that is the case I measured 5″ which makes more sense. The hat is for a friend and she is a lot smaller than me so might try the smaller hook.

Lorene April 6, 2014 at 7:53 am

yes it is measured in diameter. Hopefully the smaller hook works for you, good luck!

Melanie April 11, 2014 at 3:07 am

Smaller hook made a huge difference. Thanks again

Mason April 20, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Love this hat, but I got a bit lost after the decrease. Am I supposed to decrease in both the ch2 spaces of the vps AND the gap in between? That is the only way I could get the sc’s to come out to 72.

Lorene April 21, 2014 at 2:22 pm

As far as I can remember I only had to decrease in the actual VPS so I can’t say why that differs for you, but if you ended up with 72 sts the way you ended up doing it than whatever works, lol. Perhaps a stitch was added somewhere along the way? I will have to work up the hat again to be absolutely positive though. thank you for letting me know.

Mason April 21, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. My problem is that I have 24 ch2 spaces all throughout 7-16. Then the decrease is done in every ch2 space. (24 ch 1 spaces). So when I do the sc in all the ch 1 spaces I still get 24. So what am I doing wrong? The way to get 72 is by tripling 24. So I think I’m failing on the decrease

Lorene April 22, 2014 at 8:06 am

Gotcha, on row 18 you are placing 1sc in every st. That would be 3sts PER vps decrease (1st, ch1, 1st) If you look at the diagram of the VPS decrease you will see that it has three stitches (one at the top of each “puff” and one ch1 in the center). So you are not only sc’ing in the ch1 space in the center but placing 1sc in each of the three sts of each vps decrease… going from 24 to 72.

Hope this helps

Mason April 22, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Tremendously!

Lorene October 20, 2013 at 9:38 am

no problem. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!