V Puff Stitch Slouch- Chloe

Chloe Slouch
V Puff Stitch Slouch Hat

This stylish slouch hat is functional and fashionable.  The V puff stitches give this slouch stunning visual appeal.  I especially love the colorway (Pewter) but it will look great in any color.

You can find the matching Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl HERE

free crochet slouch hat pattern- the chloe- v puff stitch slouch by cre8tion crochet

• This pattern contains affiliate links
  • By using this pattern you agree to the Pattern Terms of Use set forth by Cre8tion Crochet

Click HERE to add this pattern to your Ravelry Favorites

Click HERE to Pin It for later

YARN
Red Heart With Love (or any heavy worsted weight yarn- obtain gauge)

MATERIALS
5.5 mm (I) hook (or hook needed to obtain gauge)
Yarn needle

DIFFICULTY
Skilled Beginner-Intermediate

GAUGE
3 rounds= 4 ¼” from widest point to widest point

SPECIAL STITCHES

VPS- V Puff Stitch
*Yarn over (yo), insert hook in stitch (st), yo, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops. Chain 2 repeat from * one time.

vps

VPS Incr- V Puff Stitch Increase
[*Yarn over (yo), insert hook in stitch (st), yo, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops**.  Chain2] 2x.  Then repeat from * to **

vps increase

VPS Dec- V Puff Stitch Decrease
*Yarn over (yo), insert hook in stitch (st), yo, pull through st (3 loops on hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops. Chain 1 repeat from * one time.

vps decrease

NOTES

• Chain 2 to begin each round, then complete first VPS- skip over Ch2 and sl st into the top of the first st (vps or sc) to join each round
  •  Sl st into the first ch2 sp to begin next vps round
  •  Do not chain 1 on sc rounds
  •  Ch1 in between every VPS or VPS increase. Do NOT ch between VPS decreases
  •  Check gauge

stitch detail chloe v puff stich slouch

PATTERN

Round 1:  Magic circle with 6 VPS <6 VPS’> watch this video tutorial for the magic circle/ring

Round 2:  VPS Incr in every ch 2 sp

Round 3:  VPS in every ch2 sp <12 VPS’>

Round 4:  *VPS Incr in next ch2 sp. VPS in next ch2 sp. Repeat from * around

Round 5:   VPS in every ch2 sp <18 VPS’>

Round 6:  *VPS Incr in next ch2 sp. VPS in each of the next two ch2 sps. Repeat from * around

Rounds 7-16:  VPS in every ch2 sp <24 VPS’>

Round 17:  VPS dec in every ch2 sp

Round 18: 1sc in every st around <72>

Round 19:  *1sc in each of the next 4sts. sc2tog in next st. Repeat from * around <60>

Round 20: 1sc in every st around.  Fasten off and weave in ends.  Try my invisible finish HERE <60>

chloe slouch chart

Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl

Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl Free Pattern brought to you by Cre8tion Crochet

You may also like any of these other hat patterns brought to you free from Cre8tion Crochet

Free Women's Hat Patterns

Slouchy Beanie Book on Craftsy

Slouchy Beanies Book on Craftsy

Purchase the yarn you need on Amazon HERE

This pattern is available as a PDF for the cost of $1.  Please note that this is not an instant download.  Pattern will be emailed to you, usually within a couple hours.  This fee is to offset revenue lost when pattern is printed and a visit to this site is not required. Paid via Paypal.

PDF print friendly

Enter Email Address

pdf with images

Enter Email Address

Comments

1. 1

Isabel says

I so live this hat but i am a bit confused on the pattern. Do your pattern numbers represent rows or is it more a step by step instruction? I also looked at the diagram and have not been able to match the steps to the diagram…. Can u help me? Thank You, Isabel

• 2

Lorene says

Each row is a round. I’m not sure why you don’t think the diagram matches the written pattern. Did you read the pattern notes and special stitches explanations?

• 4

Lorene says

The mc starts with 6 VPS which in simple terms is really 12 half puff stitches with chains in between. Do this… 1 half puff stitch (*Yarn over (will be referred to as yo from now on), insert hook in stitch (will be referred to as st from now on), yo, pull through st (you will have 3 loops on your hook). Yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (5 loops on hook). Yo and pull through all 5 loops) then chain 2. Then repeat another half puff stitch and chain 1. Then do that whole thing 5 more times for a total of 6 VPS.

Hope that helps you out.

2. 7

Mary says

Lorene, Thank you so much for the pattern! I have done so many different slouch hats and haven’t been pleased with them. The minute I saw this one I knew it was what I had been looking for. It worked up like a dream and will be my go-to-pattern for future slouch hats!

• 8

Lorene says

awesome, I’m so glad you liked it, I think it is my favorite too. I am working up a similar style with the same stitch but different look.

3. 9

Darrya says

Hi Lorene, can you do a video tutorial on the V Puff stitch? I just need a little help getting this one going.
    Thanks much.

4. 11

Isabel says

Thank u for sharing the pattern to this beautiful hat! I sure did enjoy making it. Also thank u for ur prompt response in helping me with the pattern!

5. 13

Krissy says

Hi there! Pattern looks beautiful and I’m working on it now but I feel like I’m missing something. After round 6 I’m a little confused. Round 7 says “16 vps in every chain 2 sp? Then it goes to round 17? I’m probably missing something, any help u could give I’d appreciate it!

6. 16

Elly says

I absolutely LOVE the look of this hat, but I’m still a bit of a beginner and have some trouble reading patterns… any plans to create a video tutorial? I can’t wait to try it out! Thanks!

• 17

Lorene says

I do have plans to make one but my filming has been put on hold for a little while (my little one doesn’t nap anymore and I need new lighting if I’m going to film at night after she goes to sleep… trying to set up a schedule so hubby can take her for the day so I can film but his work has been so busy)

7. 18

MichaelM says

I am presently crocheting my fifth Chloe in two weeks. My fingers are numb; but my friends love this hat. I’ve done it in beige with green stripes, Purple with a black rose with a purple black button for the center, two blacks one with a pink rose the other with a red rose, currently working on blue…

8. 19

Britney says

I love the hat! BUT…should it be ruffling (sp?) up at the join? I’ve taken it out three times because I can’t get it to come out right. I’ve been crocheting for 16 years, but this is the first hat I’ve attempted so I’m probably screwing something up lol

9. 22

Melanie says

Love this hat and just finished it using cleakheaton nautical which looks thicker than what you have used. It was looking a bit big and I kept checking the gauge but must be doing something wrong. Can you explain how you check the gauge for this hat? Looks like I will be starting again with a smaller hook

• 23

Lorene says

I’m not sure how to answer this… gauge is measured the same way for this hat as would be for any project. The first three rounds equal 4 ¼” from widest point to widest point. The hat is a slouch so it gets really large and then tapers back in. It does fit loose. If you like the slouch of the hat but the band is too big than you can just switch to a smaller hook for the band, or add a couple decreasing stitches. If the yarn you used is thicker than what I used than the overall product will be bigger. good luck

• 24

Melanie says

Thanks. Just had a brainwave, do you mean the diameter? If that is the case I measured 5″ which makes more sense. The hat is for a friend and she is a lot smaller than me so might try the smaller hook.

10. 27

Mason says

Love this hat, but I got a bit lost after the decrease. Am I supposed to decrease in both the ch2 spaces of the vps AND the gap in between? That is the only way I could get the sc’s to come out to 72.

• 28

Lorene says

As far as I can remember I only had to decrease in the actual VPS so I can’t say why that differs for you, but if you ended up with 72 sts the way you ended up doing it than whatever works, lol. Perhaps a stitch was added somewhere along the way? I will have to work up the hat again to be absolutely positive though. thank you for letting me know.

11. 29

Mason says

Thank you for your prompt response. My problem is that I have 24 ch2 spaces all throughout 7-16. Then the decrease is done in every ch2 space. (24 ch 1 spaces). So when I do the sc in all the ch 1 spaces I still get 24. So what am I doing wrong? The way to get 72 is by tripling 24. So I think I’m failing on the decrease

• 30

Lorene says

Gotcha, on row 18 you are placing 1sc in every st. That would be 3sts PER vps decrease (1st, ch1, 1st) If you look at the diagram of the VPS decrease you will see that it has three stitches (one at the top of each “puff” and one ch1 in the center). So you are not only sc’ing in the ch1 space in the center but placing 1sc in each of the three sts of each vps decrease… going from 24 to 72.

Hope this helps