Pumpkin Hat- Infant

Almost Good Enough to Eat
Infant Pumpkin Hat

This sweet free crochet infant pumpkin hat pattern has texture galore.  It is as realistic as a crochet pumpkin hat can get. I especially love vine curly-Q and the tiny leaf.

infant pumpkin hat free crochet pattern

• This pattern contains affiliate links
  • By using this pattern you agree to the Pattern Terms of Use set forth by Cre8tion Crochet

Click HERE to add this pattern to your Ravelry Favorites

$2 or less

Time Involved
less than an hour

Recommended Retail Price
$25

Notes
You can use my seamless method for this hat. It gets a little tricky so I did not use the seamless method to write this pattern. You can find instructions and a video tutorial HERE

You can easily change the size of this hat using my article on
Designing your Own Custom Crochet Hat

infant pumpkin beanie... super adorable curly q vine and tiny leaf- free pattern

Yarn
approx 1/3 of a skein of Baby Bee Cotton/Acrylic Blend in orange for hat
small amount of green and brown for stump, vine and leaf

Materials
5.5mm (I) hook
yarn needle

Abbreviations and Stitches Used

CA- color A- brown

CB- color B- orange

CC- color C- green

mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)

insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops

yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

fpdc- front post double crochet
same as double crochet except instead of crocheting in the normal space you insert hook under post in previous round (from front to back)

Instructions

Curly-Q Vine

Row 1:  Using CA- Leaving 6” tail. Ch10

Row 2: 7sc in 2nd ch from hook, twist ch completely around, skip 1ch, 7sc in next ch, twist ch completely around, skip 1ch, 7sc in next ch, twist ch completely around, skip 1ch, 7sc in next ch, skip 1ch, 7sc in next ch, 2sc in next st.  Fasten off, leaving 6” tail

Put aside and secure to finished hat

Leaf
Free pattern for Leaves HERE.  I used Medium Fat Bottom Leaf

Hat

Round 1: Starting with CA mc/r 10hdc. sl st to join round <10>

Round 2: Ch2. 1hdc in each of the next 9sts. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <10> (weave in tail from mc/r now or you won’t be able to get to it later)

Round 3: Ch2. 1hdc in each of the next 9sts. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round. Change color to CB on sl st. Be sure to tie tails of CA and CB together tightly to secure <10>

Round 4: Ch2. 1dc in the same st. 2dc in every st around <20>

Round 5: Ch2. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. *1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. Repeat from * around. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <30>

Round 6: Ch2. 1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. *1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. Repeat from * around. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <40>. Should measure approx 4 ¼”

Round 7: Ch2. 1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the next st. *1dc in each of the next 3sts. 1fpdc in the post of the next st. Repeat from * around. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <40>

Rounds 8-10: Repeat line 7

Round 11: Reverse sl st all the way around hat. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Finishing

Stitch on Curly-Q vine and small leaf

I hope you enjoyed this free infant pumpkin hat. To customize this hat to any size you can follow my tutorial Designing Your Own Custom Crochet Hat

Liked What You Just Read? Don’t Miss a Post.

Craftsy

Comments

1. 5

Marybeth says

Hi,
    Love the pattern!!! Is it possible to help me revise it for a toddler? I’m not sure I get the conversions
    Thanks

2. 9

Heidi Higginbotham says

Hi Lorene,

thanks for sharing your adorable pattern! I had just purchased worsted weight bright orange and green color yarn and would love to go ahead and use them so I can start right away instead of planning another trip to the store which is about 25 minutes away. On that note, I wonder if you have an idea what size crochet hook to use instead of an I in order to come up with same size of 13 inch diameter? I always wonder about converting to different yarns!! I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much; such a cute hat.

3. 11

Joan says

Posting this again – my email was incorrect.
    I am confused about the front post double crochet. Especially “fpdc in post of same stitch”. Do I catch the post of the double crochet I just made or catch the post from the row below?
    In watching Utube videos, all I have seen is the post from the row below being caught in the double crochet.
    I am anxious to make your pumpkin hat

• 12

Lorene says

yes, because the first few rows of the pattern are increasing rows you will use the post of the double crochet you just made… so do a dc and then in the post of the same stitch you will do a fpdc. Then once you finish increasing you will do the fpdc normally for the rest of the pattern. Let me know if you need anything else.

4. 13

ann says

I tried making this…it turned out cute but I am having trouble with the fpdc stitch…no matter what tutorial I do I cant get it right…any help

• 14

Lorene says

What part are you having issues with? Sometimes it is hard to differentiate the stitches (where you would put the fpdc and where you would put the regular dc)…. just remember that the actual “stitch” or “loop” part of the stitch comes before the “post” part of the stitch… so you you just need to make sure you are not doing the fpdc in the same st that you just did the dc.

Do your regular DC then skip the following post (as this post belongs to the st where you just put your regular dc), then put your fpdc in the NEXT post.

• 17

Lorene says

I do not have this scheduled for a video as of yet, but I will try to add it to the list, however it won’t be done for quite some time. You can search in youtube to see if there is another one similar.

5. 18

Ari says

Hello there! I’m working on the hat right now, however the pattern of the fphdc is not giving me the nice embossed lines on the pumpkin that your photos show. Instead I’m getting some of that pattern on the inside of the hat. I’m wondering if you have any idea of what I am doing wrong?

• 19

Lorene says

since you are working in a circle all the post stitches should all be on the same side… unless you are not always putting the hook in the same place. Are you sure you are doing the fphdc the right way?

• 20

Ari says

Thank you for responding! I know I am using the correct post for the fphdc but perhaps I am not creating the knot correctly. I insert my hook from the front to the back and bring it back to the front again so I have the post almost encircled… does that sound at all correct?

• 21

Lorene says

that sounds right… but then all the posts should be on the same side. They only show on the other side if you inadvertently do a bpdc (back post double crochet)

Trackbacks