Pumpkin Hat- Infant

by Lorene on August 8, 2013

Almost Good Enough to Eat
Infant Pumpkin Hat

This sweet free crochet infant pumpkin hat pattern has texture galore.  It is as realistic as a crochet pumpkin hat can get. I especially love vine curly-Q and the tiny leaf.

infant pumpkin hat free crochet pattern

Finished Size:
13” Diameter

Washing Instructions:
machine wash gentle
lay flat to dry

Cost of Materials:
$2 or less

Time Involved:
less than an hour

Recommended Retail Price:
$25

You can use my seamless method for this hat. It gets a little tricky so I did not use the seamless method to write this pattern. You can find instructions and a video tutorial HERE

You can easily change the size of this hat using my article on Designing your Own Custom Crochet Hat

infant pumpkin beanie... super adorable curly q vine and tiny leaf- free pattern

approx 1/3 of a skein of Baby Bee Cotton/Acrylic Blend in orange for hat
small amount of green and brown for stump, vine and leaf
5.5mm (I) hook
embroidery needle

Abbreviations and Stitches Used:

CA- color A- brown

CB- color B- orange

CC- color C- green

mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial

insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops

yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

fpdc- front post double crochet
same as double crochet except instead of crocheting in the normal space you insert hook under post in previous round (from front to back)B- color B

Instructions:

14. 2sc in next st.
  15. fasten off, leaving 6” tail
  16. Put aside and secure to finished hat

Leaf

1. Using CC- Leaving 6” tail. ch5
  2. sc back along the ch <4>
  3. turn. 1hdc in first st. 2dc in next st. 1hdc in next st. 1sc in next st. Ch1 at top
  4. working back down the other side. 1sc in next st. 1hdc in next st. 2dc in next st. 1hdc in last st
  5. sl st into the base of the leaf and fasten off leaving 6” tail
  6. put aside and secure to finished hat

Hat

1. Starting with CA mc/r 10hdc. sl st to join round <10>
  2. Ch2. 1hdc in each of the next 9sts. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <10> (weave in tail from mc/r now or you won’t be able to get to it later)
  3. Ch2. 1hdc in each of the next 9sts. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round. Change color to CB on sl st. Be sure to tie tails of CA and CB together tightly to secure <10>
  4. Ch2. 1dc in the same st. 2dc in every st around <20>
  5. Ch2. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. *1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. Repeat from * around. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <30>
  6. Ch2. 1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. *1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the post of the same st. Repeat from * around. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <40>
  7. Ch2. 1dc in the next st. 1dc in the next st. 1fpdc in the next st. *1dc in each of the next 3sts. 1fpdc in the post of the next st. Repeat from * around. sl st into the top of the ch2 to join round <40>
  8. Repeat line 7, three more times for a total of 10 rows
  9. Reverse sl st all the way around hat. Fasten off and weave in ends.
  10. Stich on Curly-Q vine and small leaf

I hope you enjoyed this free infant pumpkin hat. To customize this hat to any size you can follow my tutorial Designing Your Own Custom Crochet Hat

Like it? Love it? Share it!! You’re continued support allows me to bring you more free crochet patterns, tutorials and crochet business information.

You may also like the Rad Rayon Infant Donegal/Golf Cap Pattern

Free crochet pattern for infant donegal by Cre8tion Crochet for Darn Good Yarn featuring Rad Rayon

or the Infant Boys Beanie

infant boys beanie crochet pattern

Have fun and as always…
happy hookin’

Liked What You Just Read? Don’t Miss a Post. Subscribe to Cre8tion Crochet by Email

c4

Lorene Eppolite is the editor of Cre8tionCrochet.com and Cre8tiveLiving.com. In 2012 she started publishing free crochet patterns on her blog. She has been featured in The Yarn Box, Lion Brand Facebook page, Red Heart Facebook page, The Crochet Crowd and All Free Crochet. She is now the official crochet designer for Darn Good Yarns. Lorene is the host of her own TV show Cre8tion Crochet LIVE- which airs weekly on Wednesdays 9pm EST.  Lorene and Cre8tion Crochet’s mission is to help other crafters find success with their business’. Connect with Lorene on Facebook.

Terri August 9, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Very cute! Thanks :)

Lorene August 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm

You are very welcome!!!

nicole August 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I just made this and it should be 10 rows in the orange right ????

Lorene August 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

yes, the first round of orange should be 10hdc. Changes to dc on the next round.

Marybeth August 18, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Hi,
Love the pattern!!! Is it possible to help me revise it for a toddler? I’m not sure I get the conversions
Thanks

Lorene August 19, 2013 at 8:22 am

Have you read my post on custom designing hats? It should explain all the info. If you have read that and still need help just let me know. http://cre8tioncrochet.com/2013/04/how-to-design-your-own-custom-crochet-hat/

Marybeth August 19, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I did… I will try and see but thank you for the offer if I need it. Seems intimidating :)

Lorene August 19, 2013 at 5:48 pm

It may look intimidating but it’s really not… just let me know if you need help!

Heidi Higginbotham September 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hi Lorene,

thanks for sharing your adorable pattern! I had just purchased worsted weight bright orange and green color yarn and would love to go ahead and use them so I can start right away instead of planning another trip to the store which is about 25 minutes away. On that note, I wonder if you have an idea what size crochet hook to use instead of an I in order to come up with same size of 13 inch diameter? I always wonder about converting to different yarns!! I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much; such a cute hat.

Lorene September 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I recommend using the measurements in the “designing your own custom hat” linked within the post. I would say that you will be fine with regular worsted weight yarn and a H (5.0mm)hook, just check for size (your flat circle should be about 4 inches wide. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Joan September 10, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Posting this again – my email was incorrect.
I am confused about the front post double crochet. Especially “fpdc in post of same stitch”. Do I catch the post of the double crochet I just made or catch the post from the row below?
In watching Utube videos, all I have seen is the post from the row below being caught in the double crochet.
I am anxious to make your pumpkin hat

Lorene September 10, 2013 at 9:35 pm

yes, because the first few rows of the pattern are increasing rows you will use the post of the double crochet you just made… so do a dc and then in the post of the same stitch you will do a fpdc. Then once you finish increasing you will do the fpdc normally for the rest of the pattern. Let me know if you need anything else.

ann July 5, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I tried making this…it turned out cute but I am having trouble with the fpdc stitch…no matter what tutorial I do I cant get it right…any help

Lorene July 6, 2014 at 3:04 pm

What part are you having issues with? Sometimes it is hard to differentiate the stitches (where you would put the fpdc and where you would put the regular dc)…. just remember that the actual “stitch” or “loop” part of the stitch comes before the “post” part of the stitch… so you you just need to make sure you are not doing the fpdc in the same st that you just did the dc.

Do your regular DC then skip the following post (as this post belongs to the st where you just put your regular dc), then put your fpdc in the NEXT post.