Infant Boys Beanie

Sweet Baby Boy
Infant Boys Beanie

This sweet and simple newborn hat will work great using any worsted weight yarn. I choose a cotton/acrylic blend for mine. Newborns loose most of their heat from their heads. That is why the hospitals give you those ugly pink and blue striped hats when you have your baby in the hospital. I, for one, hated those hats. I made all my own beanies for my daughter when she was born.

Recently I was asked to put an order together for a client who wanted to give her best friend some of my newborn hats as well as some hats for as baby got older. We decided that since her baby was to be born in October that two newborn hats would be perfect; along with two hats in slightly larger sizes for as the baby grew and the days got colder.

infant boys beanie crochet pattern

Finished Size:
13” diameter

To change this pattern you can read my article Design your Own Custom Crochet Hat that offers directions on how to make any hat pattern in any size.
This pattern is written using my seamless method.  If you are not familiar with this method you can read the directions and watch the video tutorial HERE

Washing Instructions:
machine wash cool/warm
tumble dry low heat/delicate

Cost of Materials:
depends on yarn used but mine was under $2 per hat

Time Involved:
half hour or less

Recommended Retail Price:
$18-22

Gauge:
3 rounds= 3 ½”

• This pattern uses my seamless method, if you are not familiar with this method you can view my video and picture tutorial HERE
  • You can change colors in any place you like.

worsted weight yarn
I prefer cotton or a cotton blend for infant hats
I used Baby Bee by Yarn Bee
5.5mm (I) hook
Embroidery needle

Abbreviations and Stitches Used:

mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)

insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

infant boys beanie free crochet pattern

Instructions:
Make color changes at whet ever rounds you wish. Be sure to secure tails.  You will not see any “steps” in color with my seamless method used here.

1. Mc/r- ch3 and 11dc. Sl st into top of ch3 to join round <12>
  2. Ch2. Skip 1 st. 2dc in next st and every st around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <24> (watch my video tutorial for my seamless method if you have any questions with these directions.
  3. Ch2. Skip 1 st. *1dc in next st. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <36>
  4. Ch2. Skip 1 st. *1dc in each of the next 5sts. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <42>
  5. Ch2. Skip 1 st. 1dc in every st around. Last dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <42>
  6. Repeat line 5, five more times for a total of 10 rounds.
  7. Do not sl st to join… use my invisible finish method for a professional look.

Craftsy

Comments

• 2

Lorene says

I’m boy”ed” out for a while… back to girly stuff, lol. I’ll be posting more donegal sizes and my boys sweater soon.

1. 5

Leticia Jurado says

i love all your patterns is there anyway i can save them as a PDF or by email so i can carry my project with me?

• 6

Lorene says

yes, go to the “clean print” button at the bottom of the post. Go through as if you were going to print it (choose either pdf or word doc) and then just save it instead of printing it.

2. 7

Heida Velia says

This was my first beanie and it is very easy to follow your instruction and now I am addicted to try to make more hats! Thank you for your videos too!!

3. 9

Jan says

My first baby beanie hat. Made for my newest great grandchild. Your tutorial was SOhelpful. I have crocheted nothing but afghans until now. Was always thinking I couldn’t do it. Well, with YOUR help I made it. Now I will attempt almost anything and I am 66 years old with 9 grandchildren and 19 geat grandchildren. Have lots to crochet for.

• 10

Lorene says

That is fantastic. So glad you liked it. You can do whatever you want to do if you put your mind to it!!! Congrats!

4. 13

vivian says

If I wanted to make this beanie in a larger size would I just start out with more DC in the ring? I would like to make it for boys between 6 and 10.
    thx!

5. 17

Michelle says

Hi! I’m VERY new to crocheting, and I figured I’d give this pattern a try. I’m able to read all the “terminology” in each step pretty well, but I do have one small question. At the end of each step, it has a number in brackets (ex: ). Does that mean to repeat that step 12 times? Thanks in advance! :)

6. 21

lyn says

i’ll be using this pattern to make as many beanies i can for less fortunate children babies having to flee their homes in syria as well as for babies born in the refugee camps. a simple design, that quickly gives a nice result; thank you !

7. 23

Lindsey says

This is so amazing!!! I will never go back to the old way of joining!! Thank you so much for sharing this with the world!!!

• 27

Lorene says

All 3mo have different size heads, so you’ll need to go by finished measurements. I do not write my patterns in the “regular” method. But you can easily adapt it. Ch3 at the beginning of each round. Don’t do the skip, follow the rest of the directions like normal and then sl st into the top of the Ch3 to join.

8. 28

Jan says

Lorene I really love it when people are smart and can figure out better and easier ways of doing things and are willing to help those of us who can’t. Thank you very very much for your helpful information.

9. 29

Dolores says

I saw the post on how to save it to your computer, but not sure what you are talking about with a “clean print” button. I see nothing about printing anywhere on the post.
    The whale is adorable, but I don’t think I could make anything like that. Love the beanies too.

• 30

Lorene says

The hat is very easy to make… it just takes some practice

I’ve actually removed the clean print option.. it was causing too many problems when people couldn’t figure out how to use it. I am in the process of adding pdfs to all of my patterns at the cost of $1 each (this is to offset the cost it takes me to format the pdf, and the revenue I lose if the site is not visited to view the pattern).

If you would like a pdf emailed to you let me know and I can send you an invoice for $1, or you can use your copy and paste buttons.

10. 31

Nonna says

I love to crochet. But like one of the other ladies said l have only made afghans . Also l am not good with computers. Thank God for grandchildren. I don’t have a printer so I wrote the pattern and hope I can make the little hats. I so want to learn how to make booties do you have a very simple basic pattern? I made a variety of baby blankets in all colors and patterns and also little purses and scarfs for new mom’s and children that are in the hospital for chritmas. So I would like to match the booties and hats if I can learn how to make them. I’m not wealthy so l rely on people to help me out with yarn and as long as my old friend Arther Itis stays away I can make some children happy. Thank you so much

Trackbacks