Sweet Baby Boy
Infant Boys Beanie
This sweet and simple newborn hat will work great using any worsted weight yarn. I choose a cotton/acrylic blend for mine. Newborns loose most of their heat from their heads. That is why the hospitals give you those ugly pink and blue striped hats when you have your baby in the hospital. I, for one, hated those hats. I made all my own beanies for my daughter when she was born.
Recently I was asked to put an order together for a client who wanted to give her best friend some of my newborn hats as well as some hats for as baby got older. We decided that since her baby was to be born in October that two newborn hats would be perfect; along with two hats in slightly larger sizes for as the baby grew and the days got colder.
I also designed a sweet pumpkin hat and Migi the Whale as two bonuses in the order… the client is my sister in law so I was a little extra generous. Though I do always include a little extra something in all of my orders.
To change this pattern you can read my article Design your Own Custom Crochet Hat that offers directions on how to make any hat pattern in any size.
This pattern is written using my seamless method. If you are not familiar with this method you can read the directions and watch the video tutorial HERE
machine wash cool/warm
tumble dry low heat/delicate
Cost of Materials:
depends on yarn used but mine was under $2 per hat
half hour or less
Recommended Retail Price:
3 rounds= 3 ½”
- This pattern uses my seamless method, if you are not familiar with this method you can view my video and picture tutorial HERE
- You can change colors in any place you like.
worsted weight yarn
I prefer cotton or a cotton blend for infant hats
I used Baby Bee by Yarn Bee
5.5mm (I) hook
Abbreviations and Stitches Used:
mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)
sl st- slip stitch
insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
dc- double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops
Make color changes at whet ever rounds you wish. Be sure to secure tails. You will not see any “steps” in color with my seamless method used here.
- Mc/r- ch3 and 11dc. Sl st into top of ch3 to join round <12>
- Ch2. Skip 1 st. 2dc in next st and every st around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <24> (watch my video tutorial for my seamless method if you have any questions with these directions.
- Ch2. Skip 1 st. *1dc in next st. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <36>
- Ch2. Skip 1 st. *1dc in each of the next 5sts. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <42>
- Ch2. Skip 1 st. 1dc in every st around. Last dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <42>
- Repeat line 5, five more times for a total of 10 rounds.
- Do not sl st to join… use my invisible finish method for a professional look.
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet pattern for my infant boys beanie. Like it? Love it? Share it!! You’re continued support allows me to bring you more free crochet patterns, tutorials and crochet business information.
You may also enjoy the Rad Rayon Infant Donegal/Golf Cap
Have fun and as always…
Liked What You Just Read? Don’t Miss a Post. Subscribe to Cre8tion Crochet by Email
Lorene Eppolite is the editor of Cre8tionCrochet.com and Cre8tiveLiving.com. In 2012 she started publishing free crochet patterns on her blog. She has been featured in The Yarn Box, Lion Brand Facebook page, Red Heart Facebook page, The Crochet Crowd and All Free Crochet. She is now the official crochet designer for Darn Good Yarns. Lorene is the host of her own TV show Cre8tion Crochet LIVE- which airs weekly on Wednesdays 9pm EST. Lorene and Cre8tion Crochet’s mission is to help other crafters find success with their business’. Connect with Lorene on Facebook.