Infant Boys Beanie

by Lorene on August 8, 2013

Sweet Baby Boy
Infant Boys Beanie

This sweet and simple newborn hat will work great using any worsted weight yarn. I choose a cotton/acrylic blend for mine. Newborns loose most of their heat from their heads. That is why the hospitals give you those ugly pink and blue striped hats when you have your baby in the hospital. I, for one, hated those hats. I made all my own beanies for my daughter when she was born.

Recently I was asked to put an order together for a client who wanted to give her best friend some of my newborn hats as well as some hats for as baby got older. We decided that since her baby was to be born in October that two newborn hats would be perfect; along with two hats in slightly larger sizes for as the baby grew and the days got colder.

infant boys beanie crochet pattern

Add this pattern to your Ravelry Queue

ravelry 4

I also designed a sweet pumpkin hat and Migi the Whale as two bonuses in the order… the client is my sister in law so I was a little extra generous. Though I do always include a little extra something in all of my orders.

infant pumpkin hat free crochet pattern

Migi the Whale FREE amigurumi pattern by Cre8tion Crochet

Finished Size:
13” diameter

To change this pattern you can read my article Design your Own Custom Crochet Hat that offers directions on how to make any hat pattern in any size.
This pattern is written using my seamless method.  If you are not familiar with this method you can read the directions and watch the video tutorial HERE

Washing Instructions:
machine wash cool/warm
tumble dry low heat/delicate

Cost of Materials:
depends on yarn used but mine was under $2 per hat

Time Involved:
half hour or less

Recommended Retail Price:
$18-22

Gauge:
3 rounds= 3 ½”

• This pattern uses my seamless method, if you are not familiar with this method you can view my video and picture tutorial HERE
  • You can change colors in any place you like.

worsted weight yarn
I prefer cotton or a cotton blend for infant hats
I used Baby Bee by Yarn Bee
5.5mm (I) hook
Embroidery needle

Abbreviations and Stitches Used:

mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)

insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

infant boys beanie free crochet pattern

Instructions:
Make color changes at whet ever rounds you wish. Be sure to secure tails.  You will not see any “steps” in color with my seamless method used here.

1. Mc/r- ch3 and 11dc. Sl st into top of ch3 to join round <12>
  2. Ch2. Skip 1 st. 2dc in next st and every st around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <24> (watch my video tutorial for my seamless method if you have any questions with these directions.
  3. Ch2. Skip 1 st. *1dc in next st. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <36>
  4. Ch2. Skip 1 st. *1dc in each of the next 5sts. 2dc in next st. Repeat from * around. Last 2dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <42>
  5. Ch2. Skip 1 st. 1dc in every st around. Last dc will be placed in the st previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round. <42>
  6. Repeat line 5, five more times for a total of 10 rounds.
  7. Do not sl st to join… use my invisible finish method for a professional look.

I hope you enjoyed this free crochet pattern for my infant boys beanie.  Like it? Love it? Share it!! You’re continued support allows me to bring you more free crochet patterns, tutorials and crochet business information.

You may also enjoy the Rad Rayon Infant Donegal/Golf Cap

Free crochet pattern for infant donegal by Cre8tion Crochet for Darn Good Yarn featuring Rad Rayon

Have fun and as always…

happy hookin’

Liked What You Just Read? Don’t Miss a Post. Subscribe to Cre8tion Crochet by Email

c4

Lorene Eppolite is the editor of Cre8tionCrochet.com and Cre8tiveLiving.com. In 2012 she started publishing free crochet patterns on her blog. She has been featured in The Yarn Box, Lion Brand Facebook page, Red Heart Facebook page, The Crochet Crowd and All Free Crochet. She is now the official crochet designer for Darn Good Yarns. Lorene is the host of her own TV show Cre8tion Crochet LIVE- which airs weekly on Wednesdays 9pm EST.  Lorene and Cre8tion Crochet’s mission is to help other crafters find success with their business’. Connect with Lorene on Facebook.

Terri August 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Thank you so much for sharing infant hats designed especially for boys!

Lorene August 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I’m boy”ed” out for a while… back to girly stuff, lol. I’ll be posting more donegal sizes and my boys sweater soon.

Nancy Yergin August 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Did I miss something? No instructions to finish off – Just stop?

Lorene August 12, 2013 at 9:17 am

No you didn’t miss anything, I did, lol. I’ll go correct it now, thank you!

Leticia Jurado August 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm

i love all your patterns is there anyway i can save them as a PDF or by email so i can carry my project with me?

Lorene August 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

yes, go to the “clean print” button at the bottom of the post. Go through as if you were going to print it (choose either pdf or word doc) and then just save it instead of printing it.

Heida Velia October 1, 2013 at 11:48 am

This was my first beanie and it is very easy to follow your instruction and now I am addicted to try to make more hats! Thank you for your videos too!!

Lorene October 1, 2013 at 10:03 pm

you are very welcome I’m so glad you liked it

Jan October 9, 2013 at 1:45 am

My first baby beanie hat. Made for my newest great grandchild. Your tutorial was SOhelpful. I have crocheted nothing but afghans until now. Was always thinking I couldn’t do it. Well, with YOUR help I made it. Now I will attempt almost anything and I am 66 years old with 9 grandchildren and 19 geat grandchildren. Have lots to crochet for.

Lorene October 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

That is fantastic. So glad you liked it. You can do whatever you want to do if you put your mind to it!!! Congrats!

jessica November 5, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Can use the same pattern to make a girls beanie too?

Lorene November 6, 2013 at 10:33 am

yup, just use girly colors and maybe add a flower!

vivian December 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

If I wanted to make this beanie in a larger size would I just start out with more DC in the ring? I would like to make it for boys between 6 and 10.
thx!

Lorene December 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

follow this guide to make a hat in ANY size, perfect fit every time.

vivian December 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thank you! I will give it a try…this is more challenging that I thought it would be :)

Lorene December 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm

What part are you finding challenging?

Michelle December 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi! I’m VERY new to crocheting, and I figured I’d give this pattern a try. I’m able to read all the “terminology” in each step pretty well, but I do have one small question. At the end of each step, it has a number in brackets (ex: ). Does that mean to repeat that step 12 times? Thanks in advance! :)

Michelle December 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm

For some reason, it didn’t like the example I gave. Lets try this again, maybe with spaces: ex: Thanks!

Lorene December 16, 2013 at 7:42 pm

the number in brackets is how many stitches are in each round. round 1 has 12 stitches, round 2 has 24 stitches.

Michelle December 17, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate you answering me so quickly!

lyn February 25, 2014 at 4:10 pm

i’ll be using this pattern to make as many beanies i can for less fortunate children babies having to flee their homes in syria as well as for babies born in the refugee camps. a simple design, that quickly gives a nice result; thank you !

Lorene February 25, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Very sweet of you, thank you!

Lindsey April 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm

This is so amazing!!! I will never go back to the old way of joining!! Thank you so much for sharing this with the world!!!

Lorene April 7, 2014 at 9:52 pm

you are very welcome, thank you

Kaitlyn July 15, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful post.
Many thanks for supplying this info.

Jan August 19, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Lorene I really love it when people are smart and can figure out better and easier ways of doing things and are willing to help those of us who can’t. Thank you very very much for your helpful information.

Dolores September 4, 2014 at 9:11 am

I saw the post on how to save it to your computer, but not sure what you are talking about with a “clean print” button. I see nothing about printing anywhere on the post.
The whale is adorable, but I don’t think I could make anything like that. Love the beanies too.

Lorene September 6, 2014 at 9:31 am

The hat is very easy to make… it just takes some practice

I’ve actually removed the clean print option.. it was causing too many problems when people couldn’t figure out how to use it. I am in the process of adding pdfs to all of my patterns at the cost of $1 each (this is to offset the cost it takes me to format the pdf, and the revenue I lose if the site is not visited to view the pattern).

If you would like a pdf emailed to you let me know and I can send you an invoice for $1, or you can use your copy and paste buttons.

Nonna September 18, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I love to crochet. But like one of the other ladies said l have only made afghans . Also l am not good with computers. Thank God for grandchildren. I don’t have a printer so I wrote the pattern and hope I can make the little hats. I so want to learn how to make booties do you have a very simple basic pattern? I made a variety of baby blankets in all colors and patterns and also little purses and scarfs for new mom’s and children that are in the hospital for chritmas. So I would like to match the booties and hats if I can learn how to make them. I’m not wealthy so l rely on people to help me out with yarn and as long as my old friend Arther Itis stays away I can make some children happy. Thank you so much

Lorene September 21, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I do not have any bootie patterns, I’m sorry.