Simple Design with Ultra Versatility
Toddler Tank Top Free Crochet Pattern
I designed this simple but adorable toddler tank top for my little girl. It is super versatile and so much can be done to modify the finished look. Mine features the optional scalloped capped sleeves and flower embellishment.
You can make this using any yarn though it will affect sizing. This version is made with Simply Soft and fits my 28mo (28lb) toddler perfectly. If I can get a picture of here sitting still wearing it I will post it.
I will be making this design in larger patterns as well.
The finished size of my tank is 10″ long from chest to bottom (excluding arms) Chest is 8″ wide. Bottom of shirt is 8 1/2″ wide
I really do not like the way Simply Soft looks after a machine washing/drying.
I recommend hand washing in a gentle detergent and lying flat to dry.
Cost of Materials:
One skein makes 2 tanks with left overs
Suggested Retail Price:
You can make the optional embellishments (sleeves and flower) with the same color of leave them off completely. You can easily add sleeves to this pattern to make a short or long sleeve sweater or add a color to give it a different look. To make a vest, you can choose NOT to connect your first chain and follow the same directions in rows instead of rounds. This pattern is ultra-versatile!
Abbreviations and Stitches used:
sl st- slip stitch
insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops
dc- double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops
Simply Soft- less than ½ skein
small amount of additional color for optional embellishments
5.5mm (I) hook
embroidery needle to weave in ends
1. Ch66. Sl st to join round
2. 1sc in every st around <66>
3. Ch1. Sk1. *2hdc in next st. 1hdc in each of the next 2sts. Repeat from * around. Last hdc will be stitched into the sp previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st hdc. <88>
4. Ch1. Sk1. *2hdc in next st. 1hdc in each of the next 2sts. Repeat from * around. The last 2hdc will be placed in the st previously left empty) <120>
5. Ch1. Sk1. 1hdc in each of the next 10sts. Ch 3 and skip 30sts. 1hdc in each of the next 30sts. Ch3 and skip 30sts. 1hdc in each of the next 20sts. Last hdc will be placed in the sp previously left empty.
6. Ch1. Sk1. 1hdc in every st around, last hdc will be be placed in the sp previously left empty. <66>
7. Repeat line 6, five more times (for a total of 6 hdc rounds after sleeves are made)
8. Ch3 and 2dc in same st. *Sk2. 3dc in same st. Repeat from * to end. Sl st into the top of the ch3 to join rounds.
9. Repeat round 8, twelve more times (for a total of 13 shell rows) Fasten off and weave in ends.
10. Optional finish- Using contrasting color sl st into 1st st of sleeve. (With finished piece facing you. On left side start in front. On right side start in back.) *4hdc in the next st. Skip 1 st. Repeat from * to end. 16 clusters. Finish off and weave in ends
11. Attach flower to chest. (I placed mine between rows 2-4 on the left side of piece)
Leaving 18” tail. Ch 17. 3hdc in 2nd st from hook. Sk 1 st. *4dc in next st. Sk 1 st. Repeat from * to end. Fasten off, weave in short tail. Wind flower and stitch underside together using long tail. Attach to finished piece.
I hope you enjoyed making this toddler tank top. I will be posting larger sizes soon.
If you have a darling toddler girl in your life you may also like
For a complete list of all my FREE patterns you can click HERE
If you like what you see, please share it. Your continued support enables me to bring you more free crochet patterns.
Have fun and as always…