Toddler Tank Top

by Lorene on July 15, 2013

Simple Design with Ultra Versatility
Toddler Tank Top Free Crochet Pattern

I designed this simple but adorable toddler tank top for my little girl. It is super versatile and so much can be done to modify the finished look. Mine features the optional scalloped capped sleeves and flower embellishment.

You can make this using any yarn though it will affect sizing. This version is made with Simply Soft and fits my 28mo (28lb) toddler perfectly. If I can get a picture of here sitting still wearing it I will post it.

I will be making this design in larger patterns as well.

Finished Size:
The finished size of my tank is 10″ long from chest to bottom (excluding arms) Chest is 8″ wide. Bottom of shirt is 8 1/2″ wide

Washing Instructions:
I really do not like the way Simply Soft looks after a machine washing/drying.
I recommend hand washing in a gentle detergent and lying flat to dry.

Cost of Materials:
$2.00
One skein makes 2 tanks with left overs

Suggested Retail Price:
$25-35

You can make the optional embellishments (sleeves and flower) with the same color of leave them off completely. You can easily add sleeves to this pattern to make a short or long sleeve sweater or add a color to give it a different look. To make a vest, you can choose NOT to connect your first chain and follow the same directions in rows instead of rounds. This pattern is ultra-versatile!

Abbreviations and Stitches used:

sk- skip

insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops

yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

Simply Soft- less than ½ skein
small amount of additional color for optional embellishments
5.5mm (I) hook
embroidery needle to weave in ends

Instructions:

1. Ch66. Sl st to join round
2. 1sc in every st around <66>
3. Ch1. Sk1. *2hdc in next st. 1hdc in each of the next 2sts. Repeat from * around. Last hdc will be stitched into the sp previously left empty. Sl st into the top of the 1st hdc. <88>
4. Ch1. Sk1. *2hdc in next st. 1hdc in each of the next 2sts. Repeat from * around. The last 2hdc will be placed in the st previously left empty) <120>
5. Ch1. Sk1. 1hdc in each of the next 10sts. Ch 3 and skip 30sts. 1hdc in each of the next 30sts. Ch3 and skip 30sts. 1hdc in each of the next 20sts. Last hdc will be placed in the st previously left empty.
6. Ch1. Sk1. 1hdc in every st around, last hdc will be be placed in the st previously left empty. <66>
7. Repeat line 6, five more times (for a total of 6 hdc rounds after sleeves are made)
8. Ch3 and 2dc in same st. *Sk2. 3dc in same st. Repeat from * to end. Sl st into the top of the ch3 to join rounds.
9. Repeat round 8, twelve more times (for a total of 13 shell rows) Fasten off and weave in ends.
10. Optional finish- Using contrasting color sl st into 1st st of sleeve. (With finished piece facing you. On left side start in front. On right side start in back.) *4hdc in the next st. Skip 1 st. Repeat from * to end. 16 clusters. Finish off and weave in ends
11. Attach flower to chest. (I placed mine between rows 2-4 on the left side of piece)
Leaving 18” tail. Ch 17. 3hdc in 2nd st from hook. Sk 1 st. *4dc in next st. Sk 1 st. Repeat from * to end. Fasten off, weave in short tail. Wind flower and stitch underside together using long tail. Attach to finished piece.

I hope you enjoyed making this toddler tank top. I will be posting larger sizes soon.

If you have a darling toddler girl in your life you may also like

Oh La La Toddler Tank Top

free crochet pattern Oh La La Toddler Tank

this toddler striped sweater

toddler sweater free crochet pattern

For a complete list of all my FREE patterns you can click HERE

If you like what you see, please share it. Your continued support enables me to bring you more free crochet patterns.

Have fun and as always…
happy hookin’

Terri July 16, 2013 at 8:14 am

That is absolutely adorable (and so is your little girl). Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to try this for my grand-daughters.

Lorene July 16, 2013 at 8:22 am

Thank you! I do love her to bits.

Irene July 16, 2013 at 10:50 am

Thank you so much for sharing this absolutely wonderful pattern! Your tank top is gorgeous (looks even more awesome when modelled by your beautiful little lady) and I am excited to try making one for my granddaughter. Again, thank you for sharing :)

Lorene July 16, 2013 at 11:52 am

Thank you very much, and you are very welcome. I’m so glad you like it!

Han July 21, 2013 at 10:22 am

It’s an adorable tank top. I love it so much. And your daughter is so cute. I’m gonna make onefor my 10mo daughter. Thanks so much for the pattern.

Lorene July 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you like it!

Paula July 25, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Hi first I want to say I love your stuff and I absolutely appreciate your offering your patterns free.
I don’t know why but I can not figure the joinings on this toddler tank I thought I was a fairly decent crocheter but this has me baffled the Ch1. Sk1. and the end of it Last hdc will be stitched into the sp previously left empty I just cannot comprehend it can you help me cause this little tank is just to cute not to make.

Lorene July 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm

you can watch my seamless method video tutorial that should help you to understand http://cre8tioncrochet.com/2012/12/seamless-crochet-rounds/
there is also written directions

Paula July 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Oh yes thank you sooo much!!!

Eleanor Meagher August 4, 2013 at 6:06 am

Lorene,
Thank you so very much for this pattern and the lovely photos of your darling daughter. I am an American living in Ireland. Free patterns for me means that I can do more patterns. I belong to a group that does charity crafts. A few of us crochet and most of the others knit. We send items to orphanages and hospitals.

I appreciate Lorene’s request and your seamless crochet rounds video.

Lorene August 4, 2013 at 8:01 am

Thank you for the positive feedback. (I’m not sure what you mean by Lorene’s request though). So nice that you do crochet for charity. I try to donate at least once a year, but I do wish I had time to do more.

Kim August 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thank you – this is exactly what I’ve been looking for (I’ve had a vision in mind – just not the pattern). I will be making a couple of these for my grand-daughters in Christmas colours – with white leggings & turtle neck shirts by Christmas card photo this year will be perfect!

Lorene August 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm

awesome… so glad I could help!!!

Leanne August 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

What a great pattern, have you managed to do the pattern in larger sizes yet, my 7 year old would love this :)

Lorene August 8, 2013 at 7:35 pm

not yet but I can work on it next week!

Ashvini August 11, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Loren,

Thanks for your pattern.

Can you tell me what is Sk1 and Sk2 means in your pattern. I would like to make this for my daughter. Does it means skip one

Lorene August 12, 2013 at 9:16 am

yes it means skip sorry, I though that was listed in the abbreviations. I’ll go fix it!

Kim August 19, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I just made this for my niece and it is adorable! So easy! Thanks for sharing!

Lorene August 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm

You are very welcome!!! Thanks.

Lisa August 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Looking for help here. I have restarted several times, recounted and recounted, and every time I get 88 stitches in row 3 not 89. I have watched the video on seamless join and am positive I am doing that correctly. Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? Anyone run into the same issue and figured it out? Love this pattern and I’m trying to make it for a birthday present for this Saturday!

Lorene August 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm

It should be 88, sorry for the typo. You are the first person to point it out and I know many people have done this pattern, lol. Thank you!!!

Alicea January 28, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I just found this adorable pattern, and would very much love to make it. My daughter is 28mo, already weighs 31lb, and is a little over 36in tall. But, when I saw the little girl in these pics, I know my little girl would look just that cute in a top like this. Any advice for making just one size bigger? I don’t think I want to go bigger in hook size.

Lorene January 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I will be making this pattern in larger sizes soon… but for now my only advice would be to use a slightly thicker yarn and half a hook size bigger. unless you can size it yourself

Marilgn February 1, 2014 at 9:45 am

Do u have this pattern in a bigger size? I also want to it use a #3 yarn. I am making it as a top for a flower girls dress.

Lorene February 1, 2014 at 2:52 pm

As of right now I do not, sorry

Debra February 2, 2014 at 4:13 am

I really would like to see this pattern in a larger size when you have it done could you share…I was wondering if you would have it up to a size 10, or even up into the teen age sizes…
Thankss

Lorene February 2, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I think I’m going to do it all the way up to adult. And I will definitely be sharing it, lol. Thanks

Michelle February 7, 2014 at 1:11 am

This pattern is beyond adorable! And I thank you for sharing your amazing patterns with us! Would love to make it for my little girl. I seem to be stuck on rnd 4. I keep coming up with 118sts instead of 120. I got 88 on the previous round so I have no idea what I’ve done wrong …

Lorene February 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm

It is possible I did something wrong in the math… just add an extra two stitches somewhere, it will work out fine on the next row. I will be remaking this pattern so and I will re check my math, thank you.

Nora March 20, 2014 at 11:17 am

Like Michelle, I have been stuck on round 4 also – counting and recounting and I always come up with 118! Very frustrating. I will try your solution. I really like the pattern. It is very cute.

Lorene March 20, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I need to go through and correct this pattern… I’m thinking I have an error in the math somewhere… hopefully I can get to it soon.

MariaDelRocioRamiez February 28, 2014 at 6:04 pm

The top is very cute,
thank you for sharing.
Also the O LA LA tank and the sweater are very cute .
I’ll try to make it for my 3 year old grandaughter.

Martha Gaston March 5, 2014 at 11:07 am

I am thinking about making this for my 10 month great granddaughter. Maybe it could be like a little dress for her. If not she can save til she grows into it. Thanks for all your free patterns.

Corinne Sridhar March 6, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hi Lorene,

The pattern of Ooh La la Toddlers tank top for a 3 to 8mths is lovely. I went to start it when I realised yu have not mentioned the no of stitches to start with. I will be grateful if you could let me know how many stitiches i have to start with. Thanks and regards, Corinne

Lorene March 6, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Thank you, pattern states ch66 (chain 66) that is how many sts to need to begin with). It is not 3-8months though, it is toddler size (2-3yo)

Ashlei March 9, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I love this tank, I just finished making it for my three year old, thanks for sharing! I was curious if you have a pattern for matching shorts or skirt, or even maybe know where to find a good pattern for them.

Lorene March 9, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I don’t know of any, I’m sorry… but if I find one I’ll post it here for you!

Stephanie Wilkinson March 10, 2014 at 5:03 am

Hi there! I’m on my phone so can’t fully navigate to look deeper but did you end up making a larger pattern for this? My daughter is 3 this week but 34 pounds so I think she would fit in this for maybe a day lol Thank you!

Lorene March 10, 2014 at 8:41 am

I have not made a larger sizes of this particular pattern yet. I am working in larger sizes of this tank top pattern –> http://www.cre8tioncrochet.com/2014/02/free-toddler-tank-top/
which will be released soon but they will be a paid pattern. This particular tank top pattern is on the list to be remade in different sizes too but it will also be a paid pattern.

Kathy Brown March 21, 2014 at 10:59 am

I love this tank top. Thanks for sharing. I made it in a rainbow color yarn so cute. Do you have pattern for bigger sizes???

Lorene March 21, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I will be releasing one soon (all sizes) but it will be a paid pattern.

Maryse March 31, 2014 at 9:47 pm

What size is this pattern? I want to make for my grand-daughter 4 and 5 years old. Will it fit them?

Lorene April 1, 2014 at 2:46 pm

This pattern fit my 2yo, it will probably work if you use a thicker yarn (Red Heart with Love, Vanna’s Choice, I Love This Yarn)??? and a larger hook but I can’t guarantee what size it will be since I have not tested it.

Shani April 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Hi I have torn this out several times, because on row 5′ I count only 15 stitches left, not 20′ on the toddler tank top. I don’t get what the problem is.

Lorene April 4, 2014 at 3:21 pm

are you sure you have 120sts in the previous row?

Barbara April 8, 2014 at 9:14 am

Love the pattern, you did a great job. I would love to make it for my granddaughter who is a size 9 When will you make it available and/or what website will it be available to purchase? Thanks for the advice. Great JOB
Barb

Lorene April 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

I’m not sure of the release date yet, hopefully soon, since summer will soon be upon us (think I’ll work it up in a cotton yarn instead). It will be available on Ravelry but I will also put a link in the pattern.

Alicia April 9, 2014 at 11:03 pm

When you say to hdc in the sp previously left empty do you mean the actual space or stitch? On one it said st and then rest said sp, so I wasn’t sure. I tried doing it in the space and it leaves a big gap.. Thanks!

Lorene April 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

I mean actual stitch, sorry, sometimes I say space when I mean stitch, lol… I’ll go through and correct it, thanks

Karen June 1, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Lovely pattern! I am about half way through the shell part and worried the top looks too tight for my friends one year old. I used a 5mm hook and chunky knit yarn :s anyway. The top part measures about 10 inches across stretched at the chest. Do you think it ll be ok???

Lorene June 2, 2014 at 8:26 am

It depends on the size of the child. If she has a 20″ chest diameter, or less, than it will be fine. The CYC defines standard size for a 12mo to be a 18″ chest diameter. (the diameter would be approx the width across times two)

Karen June 2, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for getting back to me! I checked out some other clothing whilst put shopping today and I think I should be ok! Phew x

Dawn June 3, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I just finished making one of these for my granddaughter, I added a chained ‘belt’ to the 1st row of shells in the contrast color…..looks great! I would have liked to include a photo, but I know more about crochet than computers. LOL :-) Great pattern, thank you!

Lorene June 4, 2014 at 12:09 pm

awesome, so glad you liked it!

Anne June 24, 2014 at 7:35 am

I started this last night to bring to do on a road trip. I’m using your suggested yarn and hook. But it’s way too small for a 2 y.o. The head hole is only 16″. I googled that the average 2 y.o. head circumference is 18.25″. I must crochet super tight. Can you recommend any other bulkier, but summer light yarn that may work? Thanks.

Lorene June 27, 2014 at 6:43 am

Anything in cotton will work well. Even Peaches N’ Cream will work great. You have to make sure your initial chain is loose, or it will be too small. As you can see in the pictures of my daughter wearing the shirt (she was about 2.5yo old then) and she has a big head, that there is plenty of room.

Perhaps you can use a larger hook for the initial chain? And be sure you are working loosely. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Good luck.