Owl Stuffy

Little Guy Stuffed Owl Cuddly

This little guy was thought up as I was making my Bunny and Clyde Easter bunnies.  With owls being so popular right now I decided to make my daughter a little owl stuffy to cuddle.  She loved him so I figured I’d share him with my followers.  I am in the process of designing two different size owls but here is the first to get you started.

little guy's

***There was originally an error on row 6.  I apologize for any inconvenience.  This was fixed on 07/11/13

Finished Size:
approximately 5″ wide by 6″ tall

Worsted Weight yarn any three colors for owl
small amount of white and black for eyes and yellow or orange for beak
(I used Red Heart and Vanna’s choice scraps for the bodies and Simply Soft for the beak and eyes)
5.5mm (I) hook
tapestry needle
stuffing/batting

You can find the flower pattern featured above here — > Large Roses Pattern

cover free crochet pattern roses

Gauge:
Round 3= 2.5”
Round 5= 4”

Abbreviations and Stitches Used:
CA- Color A
CB- Color B
CC- Color C

mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)
insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
sc- single crochet
insert hook into stich or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (two loops on hook), yarn over, pull through both loops
hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

To change color on every color change- for final sl st, insert hook into st, yo with new color and pull through st. With both loops (one of each color) still on hook (keep tight), tie tails of old color and new color together with two knots. Then continue on with your sl st and begin to work with next color.

Make sure all knots are tight and secure and then cut each about  ½’’ long

You will get a different look depending on how much you stuff your cuddly

purple and coral

Cost of Materials:
Made with all scraps with the exception of batting.  Can be found at any craft store for approx $7

Time Involved:
approx 1 hour to complete entire owl from start to finish

Recommended Retail Price:
$12-18

blue and green

Instructions:

1. With CA- mc/r with 6hdc. Sl st into 1st hdc to join round. <6> (link to mc/r post/video)
2. Ch1. 2hdc in every st around. sl st into the top of the first hdc (skipping the ch1) to join round <12>
3. Ch1. 2hdc in every st around. sl st into to the top of the first hdc (skipping the ch1) to join round <24>
4. Ch1. *1hdc in the next st. 2hdc in the next st. repeat from* around . Sl st into the first hdc to join round (skipping the ch1) change to CB on sl st. For every color change, tie tails of new color to old color to secure, no need to stitch over tails as the will be on the inside of the finished item. <36>
5. Using CB. Ch1. 1hdc in space between 1st set of posts. 1hdc in between every post around. sl st into the top of the first hdc (skipping the ch1) to join round <36>
6. Ch1. *1hdc in each of the next 3sts. 2hdc in the next st. repeat from* around . Sl st into the first dc to join round (skipping the ch1) change to CC on sl st <45>
7. Using CC. Ch1. 1sc in each of the next 19 sts. 1sl st and 1 hdc in the next st. 2hdc in each of the next 5sts. 1hdc and 1 sl st in the next st. 1sc in each of the next 19 sts. sl st into the top of the first sc (skipping the ch1) to join round <52>
8. Ch1. 1sc into each of the next 17sts. sl st into the next st. 1hdc in the next st. 1hdc and 3dc in the next st. Ch1 and 1dc and 1hdc in the next st. 1sc into each of the next 8sts. 1hdc and 1dc in the next st.  Ch1 and 3dc and 1hdc in the next st. 1hdc in the next st.  1sl st into the next st. 1sc into the remaining sts.
9. Loosely sl st around the entire piece. 3sc in each of the ch1 spaces (ears).
10. Repeat entire pattern again for second side. You can use the same colors, use different colors or use any one solid color to complete the back of the owl. This time fasten off and leave a 4’ (48”) tail.
11. Make eyes (pattern below) and stitch onto the right side of one piece. Stitch on beak (directions below).
12. Put sides back to back with the good side facing in.  Whip Stitch together leaving a 1 1/2″ gap.  Turn right side out. Stuff with batting.  Finish stitching together, fasten off and weave in ends.

peices

Eyes
4.0mm (G) hook

Using black or grey. Mc/r with 6sc. Sl st to close round and change to white on sl st. (with hook still intact also tie center tail (black or grey) with the other black or grey tail tightly to secure. Cut tails (do not cut long working (white) yarn) approx. ½” long.
Ch1. 2sc in every st around. join round with sl st. <12>
Ch1. 2sc in every st around. join round with sl st. <24>. Fasten off and leave 12” long tail.
Repeat for second eye, leaving a 18” long tail.
Using 18” tail secure eyes together in the center for 3-4 st spaces.
Secure onto right side of one of the owl sides using long tails.

Beak:

To stitch on beak start with the outline. Work from corner of one eye to point of beak. Then work from the corner of first eye to the corner of the second eye. Then work from the corner of the second eye to the point of the beak. Fill in working from both sides to the center. I recommend working from the point of the beak to the top.

beak stitching

beak finished

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on my Little Guy Owl Cuddly.  If you like what you see please share.

Have a fun and as always…

happy hookin’

Love owls???? You may also like my Owl Family Portrait

Owl Family Portrait Free Crochet Patterns

Or check out one of my most popular owl hat patterns, available in 4 sizes
Winky Winky the Owl

winky winky the owl free crochet owl hat pattern

Owl pattern inspired by my Easter pattern… Bunny and Clyde
free easter bunny crochet pattern

Or check out all of my other FREE Crochet Patterns HERE

free patterns

Craftsy

Comments

1. 5

Rosalie Wright says

Thank you for writing the pattern and making it free….there’s not much out there that’s is free these days….

• 6

Lorene says

You are very welcome! I’m glad you liked him. Please share it, pin it, google+ it… whatever. That way I can continue to make free patterns!

2. 7

omega says

So cute! Not to sound like a dummy (but it’s been awhile since I picked up crochet hook) but what is “mc/r”?

3. 11

Jay says

Thank you for the lovely wee pattern. I’ve just watched your very informative videos on youtube. Very helpful to someone not cognisant of US crochet terms.

4. 17

Effie says

Goodmorning Lorene!
    I found your site just a few days ago and I wanted to congratulate you for your work with all these…Your instructions are very analytic and clear,almost like watching a video tutorial.I just made your wonderful owl..Keep up the good work…thank you for sharing the patterns.Kisses from Greece!

• 18

Lorene says

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the positive feedback and I’m so glad that you are enjoying my patterns!

5. 19

Jan says

These could make adorable scrubbies for the kitchen…just use a round scratch pad for the center and crochet around it!!

• 22

Lorene says

I do have smaller (appliques and stuffy’s) but they are currently under contract with Inspired Crochet. I will release them in the future as well. The next sizes are a bit larger.

• 23

says

Did you end up making the larger size sutffies? I would love to make one the size of a throw pillow, but I have no idea where to start.

• 24

Lorene says

I did not but I do not plan on making one THAT big. the only thing I can suggest would be to make a large oval (make two), and then stitch on ears, eyes and beak. Stitch together and stuff. Sorry.

6. 25

Cass says

These guys are gorgeous!! I couldn’t get the eyes right like yours so I used felt for that… I’ll have to keep practising :) Thanks so much for this super easy to follow pattern!!

7. 27

Cindy says

Hi, I am in the process of making this little owl…He is adorable.. When you put the two pieces together, do you slip stitch them together or whip stitch them together. Then turn right side out and stuff it ? Thanks for your help..

• 28

Lorene says

I whip stitch but you can do either. Put good sides together (bad sides out) stitch it most of the way closed, leaving a 1.5″ inch gap, turn it right side out, stuff and finish stitching closed.

• 30

Lorene says

De Nada. El gusto es mio!!!! I can read what this says, or the jist. Hello Lorene, thank you very much for the tutorial, It gave me much pleasure????? or something to that regard, lol I only speak English, though I did take a bit of Spanish in high school.

8. 31

Phyllis Smith says

Thank you for this lovely pattern I do like to crochet I’m in my senior years and do find it hard to read the patterns or should I say concentrate but these little fellows will be great for my young great grand children I look forward to making them and can not wait to see the finished owl’s
    God Bless
    Phyllis

9. 33

Kathy B says

Thank you so much for posting this owl pattern. I know I will be making them, I get customers asking for owls all the time. I especially like your cost estimate and retail estimate. That helps when deciding how much to sell them for at craft shows. Great job!

10. 35

Tina says

Hi Lorene, thank you so much for the adorable pattern! Also, thank you for allowing me to sell them & for giving a retail estimate. Your pattern was super easy to follow & understand. I make owl hats & have always had trouble with the painstaking process of getting the eyes sewn on perfectly even…well your idea of stitching them together first is a lifesaver!!

• 36

Lorene says

You are very welcome, and thank you for the positive feedback. I make my owl hats the same way (stitching the eyes together first) for that exact reason. I’m a super perfectionist, lol.

11. 37

hazel says

lorene
    love owls for so many years – made many – can never pass up a pattern – this is adorable for a pincushion or just an ornament….thank you

12. 43

Brenda says

Thank you for this free pattern and tutorial. I have been crochetting for about 1 year and have made a lot of pot holders and dishcloths. I decided it was time to try something else, so this is it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

• 44

Lorene says

You are very welcome, hope it works out well for you. I try to make all of my patterns easy to understand, please let me know if you have any issues.

13. 45

Melanie says

I LOVE THESE!! Everywhere you look there are different crafts with owls but I couldn’t find any crochet patterns. Thank you so much for sharing. This is a great way to work through my scrap yarn & have something adorable to share! Thanks again!!

14. 47

Gina says

My son’s new teacher LOVES owls. And she is having a baby soon. I think this would make a great little gift for my son to give her. Thank you for the pattern. I can’t wait to make it.

15. 49

Shannon says

Thank you for this wonderful pattern. It’s so beautiful and I can’t wait to make it. I’m a fairly new to crocheting and on row 4 you used the abbreviation of ‘ss’ and not sure what that stands for but any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 50

Lorene says

Sorry that should have said “st” for stitch. I corrected it, thank you! I hope you enjoy making these little owls! Thanks for the compliments!

16. 51

says

I need to help raise money to buy some computer equipment for a day centre I work at, can I please use your pattern to make a few to sell? Thank you, Elly

17. 53

Stacey says

Thank you so much for making your pattern free and available to all. I love these owls, they are cute and easy to make and very on trend. Thank you again for being so kind.

18. 55

judy bee says

just found your spot today and since I have a little crocheting addiction to all things owls, came right to this page. Thanks for sharing, your instructions and tons of other interesting information. can’t wait to raid the scrap bag and start the little hooter.
    happy hooking, judyb

• 56

Lorene says

Thank you Judy. I’m glad you like my little hooters, lol. They are so fun to make. I have a bunch around my house.

19. 57

Kathy B says

Lorene,
    Love this owl. It worked up real fast, a little longer than 1 hour for me. But still a very quick pattern. I posted a picture of mine on my facebook page (Kathy Bartholomew) and I credited you with the design. Great pattern…can’t wait to make the bunny…

20. 63

Jackie says

Just made one of these little guys and love it. Thank you so much for the pattern!! Very good detailed instructions!! Was wondering if you would be releasing a pattern for a larger one anytime soon? Anxious to make one!! Thanks again!

21. 68

says

I have been looking at owl patterns for my 16 year old granddaughter for an xmas gift and this one is going to be perfect for her. She can use it as a paperweight for her desk. I just love it. Thanks for sharing.

22. 72

Alfreda says

Thank you for the free pattern. I am struggling to convert to English hooks and stitches and have successfully made an owl in UK double knit (your light worsted, I believe). Next I am going to experiment with thicker wool and a larger hook. I could end up with a complete owl family.

23. 73

Nanenna says

This is so cute! Thank you for posting a free pattern that looks really good, I’m making one now for my nephew. Unfortunately row 5 has me confused, the instructions say “between posts” but so far as I can figure that’s just a regular stitch.

24. 76

says

Hello!
    Thank you so much for this adorable pattern! It is perfect for my little sister for Christmas!
    I have just one question though about step 9…. It says to 3sc in each of the ch1 spaces (ears)
    I don’t quite understand this? Do I 3sc in all of the stitches of the ears?
    I just started to crochet 2 weeks ago so I still get confused lol :) Thank you for any help!!
    Amanda (24)

25. 80

says

Thank you so much for this pattern. Am going to make it for the “Elephants for Joplin” project. Going to work on it tonight. I believe this is the one they use.

26. 81

Tammy E says

Made your owl tonight. He turned it really cute and I’ll be making a couple more in the next few days. Thanks for the pattern. Is pinned and the final product has been shared on Facebook and instagram. :-)

27. 82

SeveredSable says

Can you make a video of this owl pattern of you tube or is so much easier for me to follow that way ? Please thanks

• 83

Lorene says

I will add it to the list but I am not sure when I will be able to get it done. where are you having issues? maybe I can help you through it.

28. 84

Eleanor says

Love your tiny owls, great for kiddies gifts! also, is the pattern for the pretty roses you show, available?? thanks.

• 87

Lorene says

It takes three rounds to completely make the ears, round 7, 8 and 9. Round 7 calls for the base of the ears two times (1hdc and 1 sl st in the next st.)

29. 92

Christina says

Hello! Thank you very much for posting this pattern, and having it be free. (: I’m in the process of making one right now. I was just wondering where color C comes in because you wrote when color B comes in and then I didn’t see C.

• 93

Lorene says

sorry, you use color b for two rounds and then change to color c on round 7. I fixed this in the pattern, thank you for letting me know!

30. 94

Kelsey says

What do I need to do if I want to make this larger? Is there a certain number of stitch increases I should do in each round? I love this pattern, but am trying to make a pillow version of it. :)

• 95

Lorene says

There is no certain number… I haven’t done it myself so I really can’t give you directions… but personally I would follow the same shape, increasing in the bottom, top and sides of owls, and then add the ears in the same manner (adding stitches) when it is nearly the size you want. Good luck.

• 97

Lorene says

The instructions on the pattern are the corrected instructions. The correct changes were made on 07/11/13

31. 98

Jamie says

I was looking for something to top a baby blanket I just made. This owl is perfect! Thank you so much for the pattern. It is super cute!

32. 100

Jean says

Hi Lorene,love the owl,I want to make them in the colours of the Help The Heroes as my friend is raising money for them by walking in South Africa and needs to make as much as she can.Would it be ok to sell them.thanks Jean.

33. 102

Sabrina says

Hi there! I was wondering if you could give me an estimation of how big these end up being?

I’m making a security blanket for my cousin, she’s having a baby boy :) I was looking for a. owl to place on top if it, and so far I like yours best. They’re so cute! But if they’re too small or too big I’d have to adjust the blanket a bit.

Thanks in advance for your reply and your pattern of course!!

• 103

Lorene says

finished size is listed in the pattern, I think it will work great for a lovey
      “Finished Size:
      approximately 5″ wide by 6″ tall”

34. 104

jj says

Really $18 for a 6″ crocheted owl? They are cute. You would be lucky to get $5 out of them. I wouldn’t be comfortable selling them for much more than that. I could see a basket full of these at a craft fair going pretty quickly at $5 a piece but $18? I don’t hardly think so.

• 105

Lorene says

I have sold several of these for $20, I put a lavender satchel in them and sell at a local boutique. Only you can dictate your price. Of course it depends on your market, but don’t sell yourself short :)

35. 106

Annie says

This owl is too cute! I am finishing on making it for my cousin, but I am stuck on the ears. What does it mean by “3sc in each of the ch1 spaces (ears).” I am new to crocheting from patterns and this is the only part I was confused on. Does it mean 3 single crochet in all of the stitches of the ear or only one stitch in the ear? If someone could answer this today that would be great! Thank you :)

36. 108

Caroline says

This is seriously cute! I’ll start mine tomorrow night. Thank you very much for making this pattern available for free, I appreciate your work and effort.

37. 112

Karen says

Hi Lorene,

This is such a cute pattern. I’m making owls for my children and all of my nieces and nephews.

I have a question about row 8. As written, you start the round with 17 stitches, and end the round with 19 stitches. Is this intended? Or have I done something wrong?

thanks!

• 113

Karen says

Here’s a more specific way of asking the question (I’m a bit of a newbie here):

In row 7 there’s a slip stitch followed by an hdc in one stitch, then later there’s an hdc followed by a slip stitch in one stitch. When I work row 8, do I work the slip stitches just like any other stitch or do I skip them?

Or alternatively in row 8, when I ch 1, do I skip a stitch underneath it?

Thanks for much for any guidance you can provide!

• 114

Lorene says

I’m gonna be completely honest, it has been so long since I made this pattern that I couldn’t say with absolute certainty but I believe you skip the slip stitches in the next round, for row 8 you ch1 and sc in the next st. I can tell you it really doesn’t need to be perfect. If there are a few errors it won’t make much of a difference. just make sure you do both sides the same.

• 115

Lorene says

Thank you, it is correct, because the bottom is slightly off center when you start, this way you end up with the same amount of sts on either side. enjoy

38. 117

Kristen Weaver says

When you are ending the first row of color c the pattern says to end the row before you go all the way around. Could you please explain this?? So sorry.

Trackbacks

1. […] The Owl Stuffy has become the most favorited in Ravelry. Toys aren’t generally her favorite but these fun little guys are cheerful and bright. Perhaps that’s why they are so popular, with their friendly expressions! Well, the fact that it’s a free pattern can’t hurt either… […]