Bulky Striped Cowl

by Lorene on June 27, 2013

Free Crochet Pattern
Bulky Striped Cowl

I love big bulky cowls, and I’m really into stripes right now. I wanted to create a functional yet stylish winter and fall accessory, the result was this Bulky Striped Cowl. This design has high impact for fashion yet is easy to create.

My cowl is created using Red Heart’s With Love which makes it both soft and affordable too. You can choose any colors you wish. For this design I chose Boysenberry and Pewter. I love the combination of the steely grey to the deep, but bright, purple. Red Heart With Love is much softer than traditional Red Heart yarn and offers many beautiful colors to choose from.

striped bulky cowl free crochet pattern

Add this pattern to your Ravelry Favorites/Queue

ravelry 4

“Pin It” for later

pinterest logo

Washing Instructions:
Machine Wash Gentle- Cool/Warm
Tumble Dry- Low Heat or Lay Flat to Dry

Cost of Materials:
$8.00 for two skeins of yarn with yarn left over for another project, maybe a matching hat?

Time Involved
4.5 to 5.0 hours
Approx 4-5 minutes per row

Recommended Retail Price
$40-50 depending on your comfort level and how long it takes you. This breaks down as $8 an hour for time plus materials. I will be charging $45 as it took me 4.75 hours to complete and cost $8 in product.

-If you are not familiar with fcdc then for Row 1 you will Ch52. 1dc in 3rd ch from hook and in every chain across
-Each block of color is 7 rows. The first section is done in 6 rows so that the ends can be stitched togethe seamlessly

1 skein of Red Heart With Love in Boysenberry
1 Skein of Red Heart with Love in Pewter
6.0 (J) hook
Tapestry needle to weave in ends

Abbreviations and Stitches used:
CA- Color A (Boyseneberry)
CB- Color B (Pewter)
insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
fcdc- foundation double crochet (learn the technique here)
Chain 3(counts as 1st fcdc). Yarn over and insert hook in 3rd chain from hook. Yarn over and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 1 loop (this is an important step but easy to forget). Yarn over and pull through first two loops on hook (two loops remaining). Yarn over again and pull through last two loops on hook. This completes the second fcdc (remember your 1st ch3 counted as the 1st fcdc)
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over and pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

Instructions:

1. Using CA- Foundation dc 50- length isn’t important here but my foundation chain measured approx. 18”
  2. Ch2 and turn (counts as your 1st dc), 1dc in 2nd st, 1dc in each st across
  3. Repeat row 2 five more times (6 dc rows total)
  4. Change colors on last two loops of last dc. Tie ends of CA to CB. Do this for EVERY color change
  5. With CB, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  6. Repeat row 5 six more times (7 dc rows total)
  7. With CA, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  8. Repeat row 6 six more times (7 dc rows total)
  9. With CB, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  10. Repeat row 8 six more times (7 dc rows total)
  11. With CA, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  12. Repeat row 10 six more times (7 dc rows total)
  13. With CB, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  14. Repeat row 12 six more times (7 dc rows total)
  15. With CA, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  16. Repeat row 14 six more times (7 dc rows total)
  17. With CB, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  18. Repeat row 16 six more times (7 dc rows total
  19. With CA, ch2 and turn, stitching over tails from color change. 1dc in 2nd st. 1dc in every st across
  20. Connect row 16 to the first row, either by sl st or by stitching closed with embroidery needle
  21. Finish off and weave in ends
  22. Sell your finished work, gift it or keep it for yourself.

You can wear this design a variety of ways… be sure to photograph them all if you list your item for sale online.  The outdoor photo’s really show off the beauty of the pattern.  Be sure to get some close ups and some full body shots.  Wear coordinating colors when taking pictures.

free crochet pattern bulky striped cowl

free bulky striped cowl crochet pattern

crochet bulky striped cowl free pattern

I hope you enjoyed this Bulky Striped Cowl free crochet pattern. If you like what you see please share it!!! With your continued support I will be able to bring you many more free patterns.

Have fun, and as always…

happy hookin’

If you like this cowl you may also like

The Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl

Chloe V Puff Stitch Cowl Free Pattern brought to you by Cre8tion Crochet

the Bulky Stacked Shell Cowl

free bulky cowl and shurg crochet pattern

sheila June 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Lovely cowl & very versatile. I especially like seeing your breakdown for time involved, recommendations and so forth.

Lorene June 29, 2013 at 8:53 am

Thank you. I really love versatile crochet items. I plan on breaking it down like that for every pattern I produce from now on. I think so many people will find it very helpful.

Anne Van Riper July 15, 2013 at 4:21 am

Thank you so much for sharing this great pattern..I love this and can’t wait to make it.

Lorene July 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm

You are welcome and thank you!!!

Tamara - Moogly July 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Lovely! Thanks so much for linking up on Hookin On Hump Day!

Lorene July 15, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Thank you for hosting. Now that it’s bi-weekly I always forget!!! I’ll try to remember next week too!

Joy August 16, 2013 at 7:03 pm

What a beautiful pattern – can’t wait to start! I also really appreciate the breakdowns you gave for pricing and how to figure them, I have a shop on Etsy and am quite the newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Lorene August 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm

You are very welcome Joy! Enjoy!

Val September 4, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I think this is just lovely. I can’t wait to try it, but I was wondering roughly how long it is. I found a slightly heavier yarn I would like to use but am afraid it will end up too big.

Lorene September 4, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I will measure this tomorrow for you and let you know… thank you

Michelle October 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

I would also love to know the finished length. I’m starting one today, its a beautiful cowl! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern! My gauge is always off, so a finished measurement would be great!

Lorene October 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I will measure tonight!!!

Ashley October 10, 2013 at 2:32 am

making this and it just seems smaller than what the picture shows…adding a few more blocks of each color but I LOVE this pattern and being a beginner at crocheting it was so easy to follow your instructions. Thank you so much for that :)

Lorene October 10, 2013 at 8:09 am

You are very welcome. What yarn did you use? I find the Red Heart With Love to be bulkier than most worsted weight yarns.

Ashley October 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I used regular red heart yarn. I had a very limited selection at my wal-mart and I am pretty sure there wasn’t any red heart with love yarn as a selection

Lorene October 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Regular Red Heart is not as thick or bulky as the With Love, you will need to add stitches to the first round to make it larger.

Ashley October 18, 2013 at 2:58 am

Karen November 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm

For a solid colored scarf, Do foundation dc 50, then 56 rows of dc or approx 30″ long. Then connect first row with last, finish off and weave in ends. ;-)

*Thanks so much for your great patterns. They come out awesome and are simple enough to follow. Thanks also for introducing me to the foundation dc. What a time saver that is. ;-)

Lorene November 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm

you are very welcome, thank you.

Jamie H May 10, 2014 at 10:33 pm

What are the dimensions for the Bulky Striped Cowl?

Lorene May 11, 2014 at 7:28 am

I’m sorry I just realized it isn’t written in the pattern and I don’t have it any longer to measure. It is approx 18″x 18″

ERicka September 9, 2014 at 5:35 am

I LOVE this cowl. I also love and appreciate your tips for selling. Thank you so much! Ericka