Large Roses Free Crochet Pattern

by Lorene on April 16, 2013

Large Roses
free crochet pattern

These large roses are perfect for wedding flowers.  This free crochet pattern can be made into a bouquet or just placed loosely around your wedding party tables for a sweet and romantic feel. They can be made in either multi colors or in a monochromatic color scheme. This rose pattern was whipped up for a wedding I am in the process of designing for a client (I ended up choosing different yarn, pic at bottom of post). I wanted something different than what I had done with my previous bridal bouquet design.

The pattern is written with the color changes to make your rose two toned. If you want a single color you can follow the same pattern without the color changes.

Stay tuned for future posts on my new bridal bouquet and my sweet spring/summer wreath pattern. The possibilities are endless for ways to use these sweet large roses.  Right now mine are adorning my mantle.

Large Roses free pattern

Simply Soft Yarn in any color(s)
5.5mm (I) hook
tapestry needle

large roses one color

Abbreviations and Stitches used:
CA- Color A
CB- Color B
mc/r- magic circle/ring- watch my video tutorial HERE
insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull through stitch, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop
sc- single crochet
insert hook into stich or space, yarn over, pull through stitch (two loops on hook), yarn over, pull through both loops
hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops
yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull through stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops
tc- triple crochet
yarn over TWO times, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, pull through stitch (four loops on hook), yarn over and pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through two more loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops on hook

large roses

No guage

Finished size
Approximately 3” but size will change depending on yarn used

1- Using CA. Leave long (18-20” tail) Ch52
chain

2- 1dc in 4th ch from hook, ch2 and 2dc in same space. *Ch1 and skip 2 ch sps. [2dc, Ch2, 2dc] in same chain space. Repeat from * till end. <17 clusters>
insert first dc here 1st and 2nd dc

2nd cluster goes here step 2 completed

3- Turn and 5hdc in first cluster. 1sc in sp between clusters. * 5hdc in next cluster. 1sc in sp between clusters. Repeat from * one more time. <3petals> On last sc change to CB. To change color begin your sc as normal. Insert hook into sp, yarn over and pull through sp (two loops on hook) use NEW color to yarn over and pull through both loops on hook. You will now have the new color on the hook. Leave each tail about 6” long. Tie short tail of CA and CB together tightly to secure (you will stitch them in later)
step 3 completed step 3 changing colors

step 3 colors changed step 3 tying ends

4- *6dc in next cluster. 1sc in sp between clusters. Repeat from * two more times <3petals>. On last sc change back to CA.
You will be “skipping” the next cluster, this is to break up the pattern so that the future petals do not cup or lay behind the previous petals when you assemble flower.

5- (here you will be “skipping” one petal, this is done to ensure that the petals don’t line up perfectly and “cup” each other when you wind them up) 1sc in next cluster. 1sc in sp between clusters. *7dc in the next cluster. 1sc in the sp between clusters. Repeat from * 3 more times <4petals>. On last sc change back to CB.
step 5 step 5 with skipped petal

6- Skip the next petal again (1sc in the cluster space, the same as the last skip) .  8dc in next cluster. 1sc in sp between clusters. *8tc in next cluster. 1sc in sp between clusters. Repeat from * till end. In last cluster add 1dc, in the space between the dc’s of previous row stitch 1hdc. In chain of first row stitch 1sc. Leave long (18-20” tail) and fasten off with sl st. <5petals>.
step 6 place hdc step 6 place sc step 6 completed

7- Re tie short tails at color changes to ensure they are secure. Weave CA into the adjoining CA petal and CB into the adjoining CB petal (weave in both directions to make sure it will not come loose) and cut short.
step 7 weave in ends step 7 complete

8- Weave first tail (CA side) through embroidery needle and begin to wind flower up (starting with three CA petals). Wrap petals around your finger for even spacing. Leaving your finger in place stitch up three petals. Only stitch the outside layers, be sure not to stitch the opening in center closed (why I recommend keeping your finger there as a guide)
step 8 step 8 finger step 8 stitch

9- Wrap the next set of petals, making sure the petals are not cupping or overlapping and stitch in place. Repeat till all petals are wrapped.
step 9 step 9 wrap

10- Using the other tail (CB) stitch the petals in place. Insert needle through the back of the last row of petals to the front of the second row of petals (CB to CB), do not go into the first three petals. Repeat around.
step 10 also step 10

11- Tie both tails together on bottom of flower and weave the tails between the petals and cut short.
step 11 step 11 finished

You can make the same rose in one single color (crochet the same, skipping color changes) for a different result.

pink rose

Different yarns will give you different results as well.  This is a pic of a large rose made with Vanna’s Choice yarn… these will become Emily’s roses for her bridal bouquet.

large flower free pattern cre8tion crochet

You may also enjoy this Bridal Boutique and Boutonniere pattern

bridal28  boutinerre bridal flowers

Or the Flower Repository where you can find a bunch of FREE crochet flower patterns

I hope you enjoyed this free crochet pattern, Large Roses.  If you like what you see, please share.  Have fun, and as always…

Happy Hookin’

Heather April 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

I love these, there really pretty, lovely for decorating tops and dresses.

Lorene April 19, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Thank you. I have a lot of idea’s planned for these roses. I’m glad you like them.

Marion Duncan May 9, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thank you very much for this pattern. This is the first flower pattern I have tried and I love it!! I made one and now I can’t stop…do you have any others?

Lorene May 10, 2013 at 9:00 am

Thanks. I have a bunch. check out this post for a list of (most) of them http://cre8tioncrochet.com/2012/11/the-flower-repository/

Vicki May 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I’ve been looking for just the right pattern to make Mother’s Day corsages, and I like the look of this one. Thanks!

Lorene May 2, 2013 at 8:13 am

Thank you!

Tori February 15, 2014 at 1:31 am

Hi,
How did the corsages turn out? Do you think you could post a picture?

Lorene February 15, 2014 at 9:13 am

I used smaller flowers, but you can see a finished one in this post

nieke May 31, 2013 at 7:06 am

Hello..Its beautiful roses..I like you mention about skipping one cluster to make it perfect when rolling the rose..I never do that when I make my crochet roses(you can see it in my. blog too..but its not tutorial. ) and I will try it soon to see the differences in my yarn, thank you for the share ..love it, keep up the good work..

Lorene May 31, 2013 at 11:53 am

You are welcome, it was actually my husbands suggestion, and it works great. Thank you!

Denise C June 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Great pattern and AWESOME photo tutorial. Thank you! Made one in variegated sock yarn for a chemo cap I made in off white. Thanks!

Lorene June 18, 2013 at 9:07 am

Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed it.

patsy watson August 31, 2013 at 9:09 pm

thank you for your free pattern I am using it to make my mom a cover’s for her chair and couch. with granny squares. they turned out nice I love it because there two colors and that what my mom wanted cant wait to finish its going to turn out great mom going to be surprised.

sincerely
Patsy Watson

Lorene September 3, 2013 at 9:02 am

You are very welcome. I’d love to see the finished product!!!

Shandy Carper December 11, 2013 at 9:36 am

I just made this for a headband and a hat for someone having a little girl. Love the multiple colors option. Thanks!!

LindY G Sherrod February 13, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Thank you bunches for the Rose pattern. They are beautiful.

Tori February 15, 2014 at 1:38 am

Lorene,
Thank you for the patterns and inspiration to try these roses. They are beautiful. My sister in law is getting married next month and they are on a very tight budget. So I am making her brides maid bouquet just because I saw yours and it was beautiful. I want to make a bunch of the larger roses to put in bubble vases on the tables for center pieces .

Thank you again for the patterns.
Tori

Chrystalkay March 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

Your roses were the absolute perfect ones for a hat I made for a contest! I needed a neat small rose that wasn’t hard to use 2 colors of yarn on. I made a small video of the finished hat to keep, because I have to mail the hat to the contest.
I put your link in the description to give you credit for the flowers that are such a big part of the design. Here is the link if you are interested.
So thank you so much for the pattern.
(used a ‘G’ hook with regular worsted yarn, and started with a while base for all the roses, adding red for the outer part of the petals as needed.)

Lorene March 25, 2014 at 9:56 am

Thank you very much. Good luck with the contest!

Evie Martin March 25, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I love your pattern and can’t wait to try making your lovely roses. I have been crocheting the Leona flower and sewing it on the knitted Whitney headband and I think your flower would look great on a narrower headband. I also have an idea for a wreath using your flower pattern. Thank you very much for this pattern.

Sue W April 9, 2014 at 1:01 am

I tried this pattern and don’t know what the heck I did wrong, but it sure doesn’t lay flat like yours does. I’m using an I hook and 4 weight yarn and it twists and turns and is all puckered. I think it’s because of fitting so many stitches in each cluster :-/ Help?

Lorene April 9, 2014 at 9:41 am
Sue W April 9, 2014 at 11:29 am

I will tonight. I was so excited too. Then I figured…that’s okay…Lorene can fix it ;-)

Becki April 16, 2014 at 11:50 pm

As per your instructions, “2- 1dc in 4th ch from hook, ch2 and 2dc in same space. Ch1 and skip 2 ch sps. 2dc, Ch2, 2dc in same chain space. Repeat from * till end. ,” where is the asterisk from which we are to “Repeat from * till end?” I think I may be doing this incorrectly, for it’s not looking like your photos, despite the fact that I’m using the recommended hook size and yarn type.

Lorene April 17, 2014 at 9:37 am

sorry, I corrected the instructions (corrected below). If you would like to email me pics I can try to help you diagnose the issue. [email protected]

2- 1dc in 4th ch from hook, ch2 and 2dc in same space. *Ch1 and skip 2 ch sps. 2dc, Ch2, 2dc in same chain space. Repeat from * till end. <17 clusters>

Becki April 18, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Thank you for the correction, Lorene. I did figure it out before I saw your reply, though. I had to figure it out because I’m on an imminent deadline to get these hats done for my granddaughter and I for Easter Sunday morning. I’m glad that what I surmised turned out to be correct. My first rose turned out beautifully, and now I’m making the second one for my granddaughter’s matching hat. I also made us pink skirts with a ruffle edge at the hem, so our skirts and hats will be matching.

Lorene April 19, 2014 at 11:40 am

yeah. happy you were able to figure it out. so glad they came out well.