Magic Circle or Ring Crochet

by Lorene on March 18, 2013

Magic Circle or Ring Crochet Rounds

There are many methods to start a hat or any item in the round.  My favorite way and the way that I believe gives the most professional finished look is the magic circle or ring.   You can watch my video tutorial here…

Check out my other tutorials HERE

You can also find all my free crochet patterns HERE

Picture Tutorial

001
pick up the yarn, hold the short end in the palm of your hand, leaving approximately 6″, leave the long working tail over the back of your hand

002
wrap the long working tail under the bottom of your hand to the top and grip the place where it intersects with your thumb and forefinger

003
place your hook in the resulting circle and pick up the strand of yarn from the long working tail

004
pull up and make a loop

005
yarn over and crochet a slip stitch (this will NOT count as any stitches in your pattern)

006
this is what it will look like after you complete your slip stitch

007
begin to crochet around the circle, using the circle like you would any stitch

008  009
once you have completed your stitches, pull the short tail to close the circle

010   011   012
slip stitch into the top of the first stitch in the magic ring (not the original slip stitch)

013   014
and now you have completed your magic circle or ring.  You can make the center hole smaller by pulling the short tail taut.  Stitch tail into finished item to secure tight.

For a professional look all the way throughout your hat check out my tutorials on seamless rounds.

You can also find other crochet tutorials here –>  Tutorials on Cre8tion Crochet

I hope you enjoyed these picture and video tutorials on how to crochet a magic circle or ring.  If you have any questions or comments please comment below or email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you soon.

Have fun and as always…

Happy Hookin’

Gloria July 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for the magic circle, makes the pattern real neat.

Lorene July 2, 2013 at 8:19 pm

No problem. I’m glad you enjoyed the tutorial.

Ingerborg July 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Anxious to try the magice circle. Will comment again after I’ve tried it. Thanks

Melanie July 11, 2013 at 12:22 am

I have crocheted for years and never seen this. Came across your website on Facebook and I love it! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and great talent!

Lorene July 11, 2013 at 10:05 am

Thank you very much. I appreciate your kind words and I’m glad you found it helpful.

Testier July 25, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Where do you get the yarn?

Lorene July 25, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Where do I get what yarn?

Connie July 29, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thank you. I have made many hats in the past and this makes the beginning so much easier.

Lorene July 29, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I agree. And neater too!

Lory August 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I, like some others, have crocheted for years, made any number of hats but was never totally happy with the way the top of the hat would come out. This made my latest turn out so much better. Thank you for posting both the pictures and the video, it made it so much easier to follow each step. Great job!

Lorene August 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm

You are very welcome. So glad it helped you!

Lisa Peacock September 7, 2013 at 8:18 am

Yay, I did the magic circle right on my first try, thanks so much, being able to close the circle give the finished product a much nice look.

Lorene September 8, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Awesome… glad it worked out well for you… thanks for letting me know. It really does give a nicer finished look.

Terry Day September 17, 2013 at 7:30 am

Thank you for the video on the magic circle ring. I have watched others before, but none were as clear and easy to follow as your video. Now, I think I am ready to try the magic circle!

Lorene September 17, 2013 at 8:10 am

awesome, I’m glad you liked it… let me know how it goes for you

Durinda October 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm

This is the best tutorial I have seen on doing the magic circle

Lorene October 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I have had a few people say that… I really appreciate it! Thank you!

Karise November 9, 2013 at 7:18 pm

That was amazing! Thank you!

Lorene November 15, 2013 at 12:52 pm

you are very welcome, glad you liked it

Gayle November 28, 2013 at 6:07 am

Terrific tutorial. I have tried the magic circle several times to no avail. I discovered what I was doing wrong after watching your tutorial. Superb step by step instructions. Thank you for sharing your talent with us . Yours, Gayle

Lorene November 28, 2013 at 7:04 am

You are very welcome, glad you found it easier.

Curtia December 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I love the magic circle. Thank u for teaching it to me. I have not crocheted in over 20 years and I have been trying to reteach myself. Thank u again. Have a blessed day.

Lorene December 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm

You are very welcome!!!

Louise Marie January 8, 2014 at 10:45 am

I, like so many others, have been crocheting for many years. For me, it is almost 40 years! i have recently heard about the magic circle. Have researched several tutorials and been unimpressed. Now, however, i am excited to try it. i know i will love it. Do you realize what a big change this magic circle has made on crocheting? And you, my lady, have truly got a grip on it. i am glad i found you. Now i am ready for the crocodile stitch! Got a tutorial on that one?

Lorene January 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Thank you, so glad you liked it. I do not have a tutorial on the crocodile stitch but my friend Mikey does. Google Mermaid Tears Purse… he has a great video tutorial on a purse using the stitch. I’ve made 4 myself.

Debbie January 8, 2014 at 2:27 pm

love it!

Judy January 23, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thx for the demo of the ‘magic circle’. It’s great to watch a tutorial that’s clear, at the right pace and easy to follow. You truly know your audience.

Lorene January 24, 2014 at 9:15 am

You are very welcome, thank you for the compliment.

Sharyn January 27, 2014 at 7:53 am

Ty so much for taking the time to post this tutorial. I have 16 grandchildren who manage to lose there beanies every year I think purposely so that I am asked to crochet an updated one. This tutorial was so informative and your patience with the instructions has made for me to create a much more professional looking project for even my granny squares. Being a self taught crocheter stumbling onto this site was a god sent for me. I applaud you Lorene for sharing your expertise

Lorene January 27, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oh thank you… I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!!

Selma (Jahn) February 3, 2014 at 4:58 pm

When I think of all the time I’ve wasted doing that initial circle–Never knowing for sure whether to count the first stitch, miscounting the number of stitches, etc.–I can’t believe someone came up with a simple method to get it neat and right the first time! I can’t wait to try it out.
BTW, where the tutorial said to “to play the video, click here,” or words to that effect–I could find no link to click on. I clicked on the word “here,” which was just black, and in several places around the blank square area, but nothing happened. Not to worry, however, since I was able to follow pictures in the tutorial just fine! Thanks so much for great instructions.

Lorene February 3, 2014 at 11:15 pm

you click on the actual picture/video to get it to play.

Janet February 4, 2014 at 7:55 am

Great instructions, loved the video, helped a lot

Sonya February 10, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Thank you! this is awesome.! My first hat for my first grandbaby and you are making it sooo simple!

Gladys Kovitch February 14, 2014 at 2:20 am

This helped me so much. When I would. Finish. A hat , I was never pleased with the end result because it always looked tacky where I had joined the rounds together. Noe they are smooth and neat. Thank you so much . Awesome website.

Lorene February 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

You are so welcome.

Gladys Kovitch February 14, 2014 at 2:22 am

Is an awesome website. Thank you so much

Lorene February 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

You are very welcome, and thank you!

maria Relue March 4, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I am not computer savy at all. I do not know what download means or were it gos. I am 86 years old and crocheted since a young girl. I love your easy instructions on new ways to do old things. I pushed the download button to get a crochet book that I thought was to be sent to my address. Wrong! No one asked for my address the computer started I guess downloading, It was 11 p.m. I turned it off at 12;30 and turned it back on the next day at 9 a.m. It worked on and on for two more hours and I don’t know where it is. Is there some way I can copy a pattern with out downloading. Too old to learn all about this computer just like to crochet. Thank you, Maria

Lorene March 5, 2014 at 7:49 am

yes, the download button you clicked on is not to download the pattern, it is actually an advertisement that appears on my blog (that is how us bloggers are compensated for the many countless hours we spend designing and publishing free patterns). I’m sorry for the confusion.

If you scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the post you will see a button that says “cleanprint” click on that button and it will allow you to print or save the pattern. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. Thank you!

Donnalynn June 27, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thank you for the magic circle! I have never learned that before and now I know how, well at least I’m going to try to do it. It looks easy enough, I excited to try! Thank you again.
Donnalynn

Janet September 6, 2014 at 3:59 am

Thanks for this easy pattern for a beginner. I wanted to learn to do the magic circle. So I am going try and create this hat.