Free Zebra Newborn Hat Pattern

by Lorene on February 25, 2013

Free Newborn Zebra Hat Pattern

This hat is designed to accompany my  free Zebra Newborn Blanket.  This pattern will soon be released in a variety of sizes.  The Newborn size is the first of the series.

Unlike other zebra stripped hats, my free zebra newborn hat pattern is extremely varied and is not uniform in stripes. Each row is slightly different giving a unique finish.  The border of the hat is also unique and adds that extra touch.

free zebra newborn hat pattern

Abbreviations and Stitches used:

St(s)- stitch(es)

mc/r- magic circle/ring (mc/r tutorial and video HERE)

insert hook, yarn over, pull through, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

sc- single crochet
insert hook, yarn over, pull through (two loops on hook), yarn over, pull through both loops

hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops

yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

scb- single crochet bobble
insert hook in st, yo, pull through st, yo and pull through 1st loop only.  Insert hook in same st, yo, pull through st (three loops on hook), yo and pull through all three loops

5.0 mm hook (or hook need to obtain gauge)
Caron’s Simply Soft  or or Bernat Satin in Black (color A) and White (color B), or any colors of your choice
and border color (of choice)
(you may use any yarn to complete this project but I can’t say what size it will end up)
tapestry needle to weave in ends

I use a seamless method in this pattern (details are in the pattern) this will give the hat a seamless look and all the color changes will line up perfectly.  If you are not familiar with this method please view my tutorial and video HERE.

I do not cut my yarn throughout to prevent having to weave in lots of ends but I don’t carry it, I pick up the new color and leave the old color hanging, and then reverse steps for the next color change.   You can cut each color change if you like, it will not affect the finished product.

The first 4 rounds (increasing rounds) are slightly more complicated than the rest of the pattern as they require lots of changing stitches.  It will get easier after you complete the increasing rounds.  It may be easiest to print instructions out and cross the off as you go along.
Stitch counts are at the end of each round in <> brackets.

Gauge:
1st 4 rounds = 4 inches

Finished hat size:
12.5” circumference
4.75-5.0” height
nearly 6” wide at widest part

1. Starting with color A (black)
    Mc/r with 10hdc
  2. With same color (color A)
    Ch2.  Skip 1st.  2dc in each of the next 4 sts.  1dc and 1 hdc in next st.  2sc in each of the next 4 sts.  1sc and 1hdc in last (empty) st.  sl st into the 1st dc to join round.  Change color on sl st.  ^see notes  <20>
    zebra hat round 2 completed
  3. With color B (white)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  [1sc in next st.  2sc in next st] 3x.  1sc in next st.  1hdc and 1dc in next st.  [1dc in next st.  2dc in next st] 4x.  1dc in next st.  1hdc and 1sc in next st.  1sc in next st, 2sc in next (empty) st.  sl st into the 1st sc to join round.  Change color on sl st <30>
  4. With color A (black)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  [1sc in each of the next 2sts.  2sc in next st] 4x.  1sc in each of the next 2sts.  1sc and 1hdc in next st.  [1dc in each of the next 2 sts.  2dc in next st] 4x.  1dc in each of the next 2sts.  1dc and one hdc in next (empty) st.  sl st into the 1st sc  to join round.  Change color on sl st.  <40>
    Change color on sl st.  <40>
    zebra round 4 completed
  5. With color B (white)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  1dc in each of next 19 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1sc in each of next 19 sts.  1hdc in the st previously left empty.  sl st into the top of the 1st dc to join round.  Change color on sl st.  <40>
    Measured flat circle should be 4”
    zebra round 5 completed
  6. With color A (black)
    Ch2.  Skip next st.  *1sc in each of the next 9 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1dc in each of the next 9 sts.  1hdc in next st.    Repeat from * to end.  The last hdc will be placed in the s previously left empty.  sl st into 1st sc to join round.  Change color on sl st. <40>
    Hat will begin to curve inward
    zebra round 6 completed
  7. With color B (white)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  *1dc in each of the next 9sts.  1hdc in next st.  1sc in each of the next  9 sts.  1hdc in next st.  Repeat from * to end.  Last hdc will be placed in the st previously left empty.  sl st into top of the 1st dc to join round.  Change color on sl st.  <40>
    zebra round 8 completed
  8. With color A (black)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  1dc in each of next 19 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1sc in each of next 19 sts.  1hdc in next (empty) st.  sl st into top of 1st dc to join round.  Change color on sl st.  <40>
  9. With color B (white)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  1sc in each of the next 19 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1dc in each of the next 19 sts.  1hdc in st previously left empty.   Change color on st st.  <40>
  10. With color A (black)
    Ch2.  Skip next st.  *1dc in each of the next 9 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1sc in each of the next 9 sts.  1hdc in next st.  Repeat from * to end.  Last hdc will be placed in the st previously left empty.  sl st into 1st dc to join round.  Change color on sl st. <40>
  11. With color B (white)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  1sc in each of the next 9sts.  1hdc in next st.  1dc in each of the next  9 sts.  1hdc in next st.  sl st into top of the next sc to join round.  Change color on sl st.  <40>
  12. With color A (black)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  *1dc in each of next 19 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1sc in each of next 19 sts.  1hdc in the st previously left empty.  sl st into top of 1st dc to join round.  Change color on sl st.  <40>
  13. With color B (white)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  1dc in each of the next 18 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1sc in each of the next 19 sts.  1hdc in next st.  1dc in next (empty) st.  sl st into the next dc to join round.  Change color on st st.  <40>
  14. With color A (black)
    Ch2.  Skip 1 st.  1hdc in every st around.  Last hdc will be placed in the st previously left empty.  sl st into the 1st hdc to join round.  change to border color on sl st <40>
  15. 1scb in each st around.  Join round with sl st.   Fasten off and finish with my invisible finish.
    Weave in all ends

zebra crochet newborn hat pattern free

If the hat is for boy I recommend doing this row in one round of sc instead as the scb is more fancy and girlish.

Add flower or other embellishment as desired

The flower I used was adapted from the Mermaid Tears Purse video tutorial by Bernhart

Flower Pattern:

Using a 4.0mm hook and Caron’s Simply Soft or Bernat Satin in border color

1. Ch2
  2. 6sc in 1st ch, join with sl st
  3. In front loops only *3hdc in 1st st.  1sl st in next st.  repeat from * around.  <3 petals>
  4. In back loops – 2sc in each st.   Join with sl st <12>
  5. In front loops only *3hdc in 1st st.  1sl st in next st.  repeat from * around.  <6 petals>
  6. In back loops – *1sc in 1st st.  2sc in next st.   Repeat from * around.  Join with sl st <18>
  7. In front loops only *3hdc in 1st st.  1sl st in next st.  repeat from * around.  <9 petals>
  8. In back loops – *1sc in 1st st.  1sc in next st.  2sc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  Join with sl st <24>
  9. In front loops only *3hdc in 1st st.  1sl st in next st.  repeat from * around.  <12 petals>
  10. Fasten off leaving 12” long tail
  11. Secure flower to hat

Here are some of the finished products by my testers.  Thank you Tiffany, Ruth and El!!!

Zebra Tiffany Wescott Bartalone zebra Ruth Warnke zebra El Hutchison

I hope you enjoyed making this Free Zebra  Newborn Hat pattern with me!  More sizes to follow soon.  Don’t forget to also check out my Zebra Blanket to make a matching set.

zebra blanket free crochet pattern

Have fun and as always….

happy hookin’

Angierizz March 22, 2013 at 1:35 am

I love zebra print. How can I make this my size? (Adult)

Lorene March 26, 2013 at 8:47 am

I will be posting a pattern for all sizes soon. There is really no way to tell you increase it unless I make a pattern for it. I’ve got a ton of other things I need to get done this week but I will try to get it done for you soon. If you want you can read the infant size and see if you can figure out the method I used to increase and follow that to a larger size.

Diane April 12, 2013 at 10:16 am

Hi,

I’ve been trying your cute little hat pattern for a group project to make 700 hats for a local elementary school for next winter. I thought I’d try to make it a little bigger at the outset & started with 12 hdc. Things were going along OK for the first couple of rounds, but by around round 7, I wasn’t liking the way it was coming out… so I thought I’d go back & try to make it as it is written. (Baby hats always needed too!)

I’m somewhat confused about the ending of your rounds. Are you actually putting those last sts in the (empty?) st of the row below the row you’re currently working into? I don’t know how better to phrase my question…

Made the mistake of trying it with black yarn…going back now to try it with light yarn & large hook to try to see just what I’m supposed to be doing… I don’t seem to have enough sts to complete round 3.

Lorene April 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I am going to be writing a pattern for larger sizes too, but in the meantime for this size. Yes the last st (or two in increasing rounds) of every st are being placed into the stitch that was previously left empty. Maybe reading my seamless method post will help you understand better. There is a link to the accompanying video as well. Once you learn the method its easy peasy.

I plan on doing lots of different sizes.. what size do you need, maybe I can start there.

Diane April 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hi,

Well! OK, I went back & noticed the links to your fine blog instructions & videos on seamless joins. So, after reading & watching, I think I’ve got it! A new technique to add to the repertoire. THANK YOU!!! It really helped doing it with a LARGE hook (M) & fat yarn, in case anyone else may be having difficulties.

Lorene April 12, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Glad you found it helpful. Thank you for letting me know! Don’t forget to read about the invisible finish too. All three methods together really create a professional looking piece.

Diane April 13, 2013 at 11:36 am

Hi Lorene,

Thanks for your reply! Well, I’ve got 3 unfinished hats in various sizes of threads & hooks, LOL. AND one that’s nearing completion. The kids we’re hooking (and knitting) for are all elementary school kids, so I’d guess the circumferences would be anywhere from 16″ to 20″. What I’ve done for the one that’s nearing completion is use worsted weight & and an I hook; (that got me about 5-1/4″ to 5-1/2″ at the point where the baby hat would measure 4″). I pressed on, and then at round 10, I added 4 sts, one each at the ends of the sc & dc sections. Then, at round 12, I added 4 more for a total of 48. After 13, I did a repeat of rounds 10-13, and then finished with i variation of your “bobble” round for a length of ~8″ & width of ~10″. Perfect, well almost…Next time I’ll do the additional increases a bit sooner for a better shape. So, just by using a size larger hook & slightly thicker yarn (and a few more increases), I was able to get an appropriately-sized hat.
Thanks again.
Diane

Lorene April 13, 2013 at 11:41 am

as long as the rows line up, whatever you did must of worked, lol. I will be posting the updated patterns soon too.

Kelly July 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I absolutely love this hat! it is adorable! I was just wondering if you had completed the pattern for the lager sizes yet?

Lorene July 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm

No, but I really need to do that… I will try to get it done soon. Thank you!

barbara July 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm

going to make it in some football colours

Lorene July 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm
Carly July 10, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Fantastic pattern. I’ve just made the hat for my unborn daughter. I hope she loves it.
I’ve had a problem with the flower though and just can’t make it look like your flower.

Still a beautiful hat pattern though.

Lorene July 10, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Thank you. did you watch the video for the flower?

Kristi August 15, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I love your zebra pattern but am in need of a pattern for a child size. My child suffers from an immunodifiency and in the medical field they are referred to as “zebras”…. basically no two are the same! I would love to make hats with this pattern as gifts for other children like my child. Please keep me posted on the availability of other sizes for this cute zebra hat! Again, it it super cute!!!!!

Lorene August 15, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I am currently writing other sizes… how old is your child? I can write that size next.

Kristi August 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

8 and a boy so I’m going to add some blue or red to make it boyish. ;) I love the pattern because its doesn’t just look like plain stripes, it’s unique just like Zebras. Thank you in advance, you’re very talented!!!

Lorene August 16, 2013 at 8:06 am

thank you… I’m working on an actual Zebra one next!!!

Betty September 4, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Thank you for these patterns. I’ve been asked to make an amigurumi zebra for a little girl and have been trying to figure out how to make it look like it has zebra stripes, not “prisoner’s stripes.” Your technique may be just what I need. If all else fails, maybe I can substitute a zebra hat for the ami???? :)

Lorene September 4, 2013 at 9:23 pm

You are very welcome, hopefully you can figure it out, lol. Use thin yarn and follow this technique or the technique used in the zebra blanket

Linda October 29, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I’ve done the newborn hat but I’m looking for a larger size.. By any chance do you have that pattern yet. one granddaughter head is 14.5inches & the other one is 20 inches. hope you have the pattern already..i promised that I would make it for them… please help…

Lorene October 31, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’m so sorry, I did not get them done yet. I am having a family emergency today so I am unable to get it done… but if you understand how the increasing works than you can just add a couple increasing rows and continue \on with the pattern.

Mary Lynn November 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Here’s my hat – made it exactly (except the flower – I didn’t get the instructions so I went on You Tube). I love the way it came out.

Mary Lynn November 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm
amanda December 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm

love this.
did you post a bigger sized pattern? I have to make one for a 3 year old. :)

Lorene December 5, 2013 at 10:52 am

Not yet, I’m working on it, sorry.

Jessica December 16, 2013 at 7:22 am

Beautiful work! This is exactly what I’ve been searching for. Can’t wait to make this. My friend has been asking me to make her 7 year old daughter one forever!! Thanks!!

Jazmin December 25, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Have you gotten a chance to larger size I would love to make this for a friend as a wedding gift next month

Lorene January 5, 2014 at 10:41 am

I have not. I am sorry, it is on the list, I promise, it has just been a crazy past few months.

Jean J. February 19, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Don’t know how I found your site and I’m afraid to touch anything as I might lose you. lol I love this zebra hat! My 6 year old grand daughter asked Gram to make one for her 7 month old brother and herself. Crocheting is NOT my strong suit but I’m willing to give it a try. Have read all of the postings and I’m the next to ask about patterns in other sizes. Have you had the time to make them up? Sure hope so as grand daughter is not very patient when she wants something “special”. THANKS in advance.

Lorene February 20, 2014 at 11:32 am

I still have not had the chance to work them up yet… I am so sorry for the delay, things have been crazy over in Cre8tion Crochet land. But they are on the list of things to do. Hopefully I can get to the soon.

Mindy April 15, 2014 at 4:27 am

Is there any way I can get a pattern for a 6-9 month and 10-12 month?