Free Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern

Free Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern with Optional Brim
Mary’s Newsboy

This newsboy hat is both stylish and trendy.  It can also be made in a beanie style by omitting the brim.  This hat has interesting architectural features made by the shell/ cluster stitch and the front post double crochet used in the pattern.

Free Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern

• Be sure to use loose tension when making this hat
  • Brim is optional but will require two strands of same color.  You can either work from both ends of a skein or you can use two skeins. OR you can wind a ball to set aside before you begin (I wound the yarn around three of my fingers (closed) 50x to be safe)
  • Please watch this video on the magic circle/ring if you are unsure of this method
  • The first two rounds are made using one of my seamless methods (option 2), if you have any confusion with these steps please read this post- my seamless methods
  • As with any pattern please read the entire row/step before beginning to crochet.  Please watch any video’s suggested or read any posts suggested, if you need further clarification
  • Stitch counts for every round will be placed in brackets (<>)

Troubleshooting:

When you sl st to join rounds, be sure you are slip stitching into the top of the chain 2 and not into the top of the first stitch (if you find yourself loosing stitches between rounds this is probably where you are going wrong)

Gauge:
1st two rounds =  3”.
Measurement after round 4 is 6” (when laid flat, at this step the round will begin to look a little wavy.)
Finished length of hat is 7” and approx. 19-20” in diameter.

flat round measurement

Red Heart yarn or any worsted weight yarn
6.5mm (K) hook- or hook needed to obtain gauge
embroidery needle to weave in ends

Special Stitches

mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video)

fpdc- front post double crochet
same as double crochet except instead of crocheting in the normal space you insert hook under post in previous round (from front to back)

Increase- two of the designated stitch per space

sc2tog-
Insert hook into 1st st.  yo and pull through st.  (two loops on hook).  Insert hook into 2nd st.  yo and pull through st (three loops on hook.  yo and pull through all three loops on hook

1-  Mc/r with 12dc, join round with sl st.  (please watch this video if you have any questions about this step)
This round is done with the second option of my seamless methods.  If you have any questions please read this post. (no photo)

round 2 finished Round 2 completed

2-  Ch 1.  Skip the next sp. 2dc in next space and 2dc in every sp around.  The last 2dc will be placed into the previously skipped sp (working over the ch1).   Sl st into top of next dc to join round <24>
round 2 where to stitch   round 3 finished round 3 where to stitch and completed

3- Ch 2. 3dc into same sp (between posts).  *Skip 2 posts and 4dc in sp between posts.  Repeat from * around.  Sl st into top of ch2 to join round (be sure not to sl st into the top of the 1st dc).  <48 st or 12 clusters of 4dc>
round 4 finished Round 4 completed

4- Sl st into the next (loop) sp. Then sl st in the space between the next two posts (so that you are in the center of the 4dc cluster with two posts on either side).  Ch2 and then 3dc into same sp.  *Skip two posts and 1dc in the space between posts.  Skip two posts and 4dc in the space between posts.  Repeat from * around.  Sl st into top of the Ch2 to join round  <12 4dc clusters AND 12  single dc>
round 5 finished Round 5 completed

5-  Sl st into the next sp.  Then sl st into the space after the next post (so that you are in the center of the 4dc cluster with two posts on either side).  Ch2 and 3dc in same sp.  *Fpdc in the next single dc of previous round.  4dc in between next two posts (in between 4dc cluster of previous row).  Repeat from * around.  Sl st into ch2 to join round.

6- Repeat step 5

7- Repeat step 5

8- Repeat step 5

9- Repeat step 5

10- Repeat step 5

11- *1sc in each of the next three sp.  sc2tog  in next sp (will take up two spaces). Repeat from * around.  Join round with sl st.  <48>

12- Sc around, join round with sl st <48>

1dc in next sp
    2hdc in next sp
    1hdc in next sp
    2sc in next sp
    1sc in next sp
    1sl st in next sp to end
    Fasten off and weave in ends.

Free Newsboy Crochet Hat Pattern Free Crochet Hat Pattern Newsboy Free Crochet Newsboy Pattern

I hope you enjoyed making this free crochet newsboy hat pattern.  You may also enjoy these patterns

Here is the slouchy version Newsboy Slouch

newsboy slouch free crochet pattern

FREE hat patterns by Cre8tion Crochet

Free Women's Hat Patterns

If you like what you see please share and as always…

Happy Hookin’

Comments

• 3

Lorene says

Add stitches to the increasing rows (prior to beginning shell stitches) How big do you need to make it. If it is only slightly bigger you can use a hook a half to one size larger.

1. 6

Kay Kirk says

This is a great web site I love it. One thing tho I’m not sure where to find the print only pattern. Can you help me out Thanks

• 7

Lorene says

If you look at the bottom of each post there is a button that says “clean print” You can print only what you choose.

2. 8

Elaine says

Do you use 2 strands of yarn held together for the whole thing, or just the brim? I made it with one strand and it is very small so was wondering if you meant to use 2 together all the time, not just the brim. Love the pattern!

• 9

Lorene says

Just the brim. The hat needs to be crocheted very loosely in order to achieve the correct size. To help you troubleshoot why it came out small… Did you gauge it? What yarn did you use? Did you crochet too tight (gauge again). You may have to go up a half to whole hook size. During the testing phase of the pattern my tight crocheters hats came out on the small side but anyone who gauged it and went to the appropriate hook size for their crochet had perfect results. If you have any other questions please let me know.

3. 10

Sara says

in step 12 what does dec2tog mean? I’m new to crocheting but I’ve understood everything else so far. Love your site.

• 11

Lorene says

the instructions for the dec2tog are in the top of the post under Abbreviations and Stitches Used. It means to decrease two stitches together, the detailed instructions are posted in the Abbreviations.

4. 12

Ashley R says

I love this hat!!! I did have to modify it a tiny bit to fit my head, but it is soooo cute! Thanks so much for posting it!!!

• 17

Lorene says

You can use whatever yarn you prefer though the hat does loose some of its detail when it is done in variegated yarn. Just a different look though! Whatever yarn you choose just be sure to use minimal tension… and gauge it!

• 19

Lorene says

The free crochet newsboy hat requires about 1/2 skein of red heart yarn or about 1/4 of red heart super saver. I’m not sure what you meant by “is it comparable to your new pattern”?

5. 22

joann says

I just finished this hat and it is beautiful. I am a beginner but it was so easy. I like the way you write your patterns. Some patterns I can’t follow or understand. thanks so much

• 23

Lorene says

Great, I’m glad it was easy for you to understand, especially since that was a difficult pattern to write (easy to do but hard to explain) I have a group of women that test my patterns for me to make sure they are accurate and easy to understand. Thank you!

6. 24

Shanda says

I am new to your page and I love love this hat! Do you have the children’s pattern for this hat posted? Thanks in advance!

• 25

Lorene says

I do not, yet but I hope to have it done soon. I have a toddler slouch version that will be going up next week.

7. 28

Shawn says

Love this hat, but would love to make it for my 3 year old granddaughter. Do you have a pattern for a child size of this same pattern or one similar?

• 29

Lorene says

I do actually, it is going into testing today and should be available early next week… if you subscribe to my blog you will get automatic updates every time I post a new pattern.

8. 32

says

Hi! I’m Sabina from Argentina I made this hat, but the size is smaller than the picture but it was great anyways, now ai’m making a bigger one whith a little modifications. Thank you! you are a great desingner!

9. 34

Melissa says

Hi! What is round 2? I watched your video and did my magic ring and 12 dc, but round 2 (# 2) has no stitches listed. But in the picture there are 3 rounds of stitches. Is round 1 12 dc and round 2 24 dc (your #3) or am I missing something?
    Also, there is no explanation of your dec2tog in #12 under abbreviations. I assumed it was a sc decrease. Is that right?

• 35

Lorene says

Sorry, I changed how my patterns where written out, AFTER this one, so I went back and made all the corrections.

I corrected the numbering… it got messed up some how. So round 1 is 12, round 2 is 24, round three is 48! hope it makes sense now

I changed dec2tog to sc2tog (which is the proper way, sorry) and put an explanation, but you were correct, it is just sc two together/decrease.

All the pictures for the step are above the corresponding step. I labeled them now too.

10. 36

Amanda says

Just made this hat and it turned out absolutely adorable! Thank you so much. I’m looking for a similar pattern for my 2 year old. Any idea where to find one?

• 37

Lorene says

I do have one… I just haven’t posted it yet. I will add it to my list, maybe I can get it done next week. Thank you!

• 39

Lorene says

I haven’t posted the pattern for the child’s version yet, but you probably mimic it by using a smaller hook, maybe a thinner yarn and/or skipping one increasing round.

11. 44

Emma says

Hi,
    I love this hat, but I’m a bit confused about the early stages. I’ve done round 1 and made 12 stitches, round 2 and made 24 stitches. I wasn’t sure what to do for round 3, so I have done the same as round 2 and ended up with 48 stiches.
    So now if I do this stage:

3- Ch 2. 3dc into same sp (between posts). *Skip 2 posts and 4dc in sp between posts. Repeat from * around. Sl st into top of ch2 to join round (be sure not to sl st into the top of the 1st dc).

I end up with loads more stiches than 48 (I also tried doing this stage when I only had 24 stitches at stage 2 and didn’t make 48 stitches!!)

Can you figure out where I am going wrong please????? Thankyou in advance…. x

• 45

Lorene says

in each round you are adding 12 stitches. In the first increasing round (round 2) you need fpdc AND dc in the SAME st to get the 24. In the next increase round (round 3) you only need to increase by 12. So you fpdc AND dc in one st, but only dc in the other st. If you fpdc AND dc in every st you will end up doubling your stitches (to 48 which is exactly what you ended up with).

Try taking a look at the illustrations. visualize the stitches in between each fpdc as its own separate section. For round 3 you want to end up with 2dc and 1 fpdc. So (again) fpdc AND dc in the 1st st of the section and then dc in the next st of the section. This will give you what you need (3dc and 1fpdc)

Do the same thing for the next round (round 4) but this time you will fpdc AND dc in one stitch and dc only in the other two stitches. Giving you 4 dc and 1 fpdc.

I hope that makes sense.

• 46

Amanda Gilbert says

I can see why people would be confused. In the comment you mention needing fpdc and dc stitches in round 2. In the pattern, you just say dc.

” 2- Ch 1. Skip the next sp. 2dc in next space and 2dc in every sp around. The last 2dc will be placed into the previously skipped sp (working over the ch1). Sl st into top of next dc to join round ”

In the comment, you say fpdc and dc for round 3. In the pattern – still no mention of fpdc for round 3.

As well, it seems like you are trying to suggest that in round 3 you only need to increase by 12. But round 2 is given as 24 stitches, and round 3 is given as 48 stitches.

Finally, the suggestion that you want to end up with 2dc and 1 fpdc (3 stitches) by adding up a fpdc, a dc, and a dc to get what you need — hard to figure out how that adds up to 3 dc and 1 fpdc.

Pretty confusing, but I will keep chugging along!

• 47

Lorene says

I’m not sure what comments you are referring to… so I can’t say for sure what you mean. The pattern itself is correct. If you are having issue with the pattern somewhere please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer. The images should be able to clear up most of your questions as well.

• 48

Lorene says

ok I can see your confusion now… I believe this comment above (that you are questioning) was not meant to be for this hat, but a different hat. I’m not sure what happened. But again, please let me know what issues you are having with the pattern and I’ll do my best to help.

12. 49

Monica Cruz says

I love to find patterns that are easy to follow and quick to crochet! Most of the time they are boring. Not the case with this one!! I am in love with this hat! It worked up very quickly and beautifully. I had no issues whatsoever. Thank you so much for sharing your talents!!!

13. 51

Lori says

Love this hat! I was looking on your site and saw this hat and decided to make it. It turned out perfect. Thanks so much!

14. 53

says

Hi Lorene — I got here via a link from Crochet Talk. All I wanted was guidance on how to figure out how much to increase in order to get the size (22″) I want. I appreciate that info and thank you.

Then I get the happy surprise of a newsboy cap pattern! I made some mistakes along the way and ended up with 11 clusters instead of 12 (which is probably why it doesn’t have any puff). Since I tend to crochet tightly I used an L hook. For the rows of sc at the bottom I switched back to a K hook and am doing 4 rows instead of 3, as when I tried it on it was a little short. I love the rib stitches between clusters and thank you so much for sharing the pattern. When I put the cap on Etsy I’ll credit you with the pattern. I’m thinking about naming it Lorene’s Newsboy Cap or something like that :)

15. 55

Katy says

I made this hat this evening with a minor tweak – I added 4 extra rows before the sc rows start. (I always have to add extra rows so I must be in the habit of making short stitches or something.) It turned out SO well. I love it! Thanks so much for the pattern! :)

16. 57

Mary says

Dear Lorene, I just love this pattern. I’ve made many many hats over the years, but this was my 1st brim hat. The first one I made with just a single strand of yarn and it turned out just fine, but I usually make my hats with double yarn so they are nice and warm. The 2nd one I did with double yarn and it turned out just great. Thank you so much for this pattern.

• 58

Lorene says

Awesome. I only make the brim with two strands usually. I’ve never made a hat with two stands, I’ll have to try it.

• 59

Sabrina says

Hi Lorene–I just want to say that I love your patterns! I’ve only been crocheting for about 2 weeks and I’ve already made 2 of your hats and used your tutorial on how to customize a beanie size…which is what led me to this great pattern (can’t wait for the baby version for my daughters aged 1 & 2). I am trying to get it right with 2 strands for warmth. Thanks for sharing your wonderful design talents with us!

Hi Mary–I’m trying to figure out how you did this pattern with 2 strands. I’ve tried 3 times with different hook sizes and can’t get the gauge right. I went all the way down to a G hook and, even with very tight tension, still measured over 3.5 inches after the first 2 rounds.

Do I keep decreasing hook size? Can either of you offer some advice? Thanks so much!

17. 61

tina says

i am on round 5 and having a hard time figuring out what is meant by the previous post, do you have a youtube video of this step? i am a visual learner and so far I am understanding things but round 5 is getting me really confused. thank you.

18. 63

Rebecca says

I made this hat and absolutely love it, except for the fact it will only fit an infant! I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have started over trying to crochet more loosely or add stitches and I am just not having any success! Can you specifically tell me how and where to add stitches to make a much larger hat? Thanks so much!

• 64

Lorene says

I’m not sure I can get more specific about where to place the stitches. This hat has been tested and made by many people successfully so I really don’t know why you are having problems with fit. Are you matching gauge? Are you using the recommended yarn (or weight of yarn) and the hook needed to obtain gauge?

19. 65

Glenda says

Hello
    Love this pattern! My hat turned out perfect. Just wondering if you posted the children’s pattern yet for this hat. Thanks for sharing this great pattern

20. 67

says

Lorene I found your Newboy Hat on Cre8tions 2-3 weeks ago and could hardly wait to make one in a multi-rose-pink (all I had at the time) and was surprised to see the ridges showed up quite well. I used the H and J hook loosened my tension and it was a perfect fit. I made another in Royal Blue added more cluster rows to make it sloucher (didn’t have your pattern at the time). It turned out just as good. I love your site. Your pics and directions are so clear and understandable. Will be make making more of your Cre8tions now that I have stocked up on yarn. This is gonna be fun, fun, fun. Thanks

21. 69

Jen says

Thank you so much for this pattern it came out amazing! Do you happen to have it in a toddler pattern size?

• 70

Lorene says

I’ve made it in toddler size but have not posted the pattern as of yet.. it is on the list. hopefully I can get to it soon for you. But in the meantime since you’ve made the adult size you can probably do it yourself. Simply make less increase rows and make the overall hat shorter.

Trackbacks

1. [...] So here we have it: the beginning of a new tradition here at JessieAtHome. A monthly interview with a guest blogger, and the first guest is my friend Lorene. Lorene has a wonderful crochet based blog where she posts many creative patterns. She has a variety of patterns, but I have to say her hats are phenomenal! Here are two of her newer hats, the Miranda Slouch and a Newsboy Hat. [...]