Valentine’s Day Crochet Hat Pattern- Hearts go Round

Hearts go Round
Valentine’s Day Crochet Hat Pattern

Toddler Hat-  fits child 1-2 years old

This Valentine’s Day crochet hat pattern can be made in ANY size.  The body of the hat must be in multiples of 5 (ending in 5, such as 35, 45, 55, etc) and border of hat must be in multiples of 10 (5 stitches larger than hat, 40, 50, 60, etc).  Send me a comment or email if you need help changing size of hat or if you have any other questions.

hearts go round hat

Materials Used:
Red Heart yarn in colors of your choice, at least two but as many as you want
5.0mm hook
tapestry needle for weaving in ends

hearts go round in red

Abbreviations and Stitches used:

mc/r- magic circle/ring

insert hook, yarn over, pull through, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

sc- single crochet|
insert hook, yarn over, pull through (two loops on hook), yarn over, pull through both loops

hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops

yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

Increase- 2 of the designated stitch in one space

Watch this video by Moogly prior to making hat-  How to change colors in the middle of a row

When working in the border and picking up different colors be sure to always pick colors up the same way so that they don’t get tangled.  I pick Color A up from the top and Color B from the bottom, making sure it’s the same each time.  If your yarn happens to get tangled be sure to un tangle (by moving skiens) as you go or else it will be a mess.

When working in the heart portion (border) you will not cut your yarn, it will follow along and be stitched over in each row.

BE SURE not to crochet the heart portion (border) too tightly or to pull the following yarn tight as it will make the hat tight in that section and it won’t fit.

I highly suggest following my seamless method found here for a professional look and to ensure that all the rows line up properly.  Use the 1st method for the border/heart section and the 2nd method for hdc rows and color change rows.

spring flowers valentine 032

1. Mc/r with 10hdc, join round with sl st
  2. Increase (2hdc) in every sp <20hdc>, join round with sl st
  3. Increase in every other sp <30hdc, join round with sl st
  4. Increase in every 3rd sp <40hdc>, join round with sl st
  5. Increase in every 8th sp <45hdc>, join round with sl st
  6. 1hdc in every sp <45hdc> around, join round with sl st
  7. 1hdc in every sp <45hdc> around, join round with sl st
  8. 1hdc in every sp <45hdc> around, join round with sl st
  9. Change to border color (here on referred to as Color A) You will change completely and cut end of hat color.  sc around, increase in every 9th sp <50sc>, join round with sl st
  10. 1sc in every sp <50sc>, join round with sl st
  11. please be sure to read notes before moving on if you haven’t already
  12. 1sc in each of the next four spaces and pick up heart color at the top of 4th st (here on referred to as Color B), do NOT cut Color A, stitch over non working color as you work the heart portion of the hat.  Crochet around as follows *Color B B A A B B A A A A.  Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc> Figure A
  13. 1sc in each of the next 3 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 1st Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B A B B B A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>
  14. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 1st Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B B B B B A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>
  15. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (this time the 1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row, the first stitch will be with Color A) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B B B B A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>
  16. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B B B A A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc> Figure B
  17. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B  A A A A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc> Figure C
  18. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B A A A A A A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>Figure D
  19. Cut Color B leaving a 6” long tail.  Continue with Color A 1sc in each sp <50sc>.  Crochet over Color B tail for a few stitches to secure.  Join round with sl st
  20. 1sc in every sp around with Color A <50sc>.  Join round with sl st
  21. Change to trim color (tie short tail of trim color to Color A to secure) and ch2, 3dc in same space.  *Skip two spaces and 4dc in next sp.  Repeat from * around entire piece.  Join with sl st to top of ch2.
  22. Weave in all ends.
hearts go round instructional 1

Figure A

Figure B

Figure B

Figure C

Figure C

Figure D

Figure D

I hope you enjoyed making this hat with me and I hope that your loved one enjoys it as much as mine does.  I also have a Christmas version of this hat made with Christmas Tree’s you can find the pattern here.  More Go Round hats to come in the future.

close up trees go round adult

I hope you enjoyed this free Valentine’s Day Crochet Hat Pattern.  If you have any questions or need help please feel free to comment on the blog, my fb page or email me.  If you like what you see please share it and as always…

Click HERE for lots more free Valentine’s Day Patterns

I LOVE these hearts!!!!!

cupids cloche free crochet pattern brought to you by Cre8tion Crochet

Happy Valentine’s Hookin’!

Comments

1. 1

Melissa Quinn says

Hello…I love the look of this hat!!! I can’t wait to make it but I need to make it to fit a 8 year old and a 10 year old so about 21-22 inches around…could you please help me with this??
    Thank you so very much!!!

• 2

Lorene says

The sizing charts on this link (at bottom) are very helpful.
      But this is what I would do…Make your increasing rounds to 6-6.5 inches in diameter (I’m gonna guess this is probably around 55hdc stitches). The total height on the hat should be between 7.5-8 inches for that age group. The heart portion of hat is approx 3.5 inches. So after you’ve made the hat to the right diameter (6-6.5″) you should continue with that many stitches till it is approx 3-3.5 inches long, then change color to border color, increase stitches to the next mulitple of 10 (if you made the hat portion 55 stitches than increase in every every 12th space on the first border color row to get to 60 stitches) then follow the instructions for the border part lines 12-20). I hope this cleared it up, if not I may be able to test it and write it out for you later tonight. Here is the chart

• 3

Melissa Quinn says

Thank you for replying to me so fast!!! I have increased the main color to 65 stitches and the started the heart portion increasing to 70 stitches…but the heart pattern was not lining up properly…I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong. Thank you for helping!! :)

• 4

Lorene says

what step are you on? Where is it not lining up? are you using my seamless method that is suggested in the pattern? Just pay attention to where the first heart (color b) stitch is supposed to go… the first few rows the 1st color b (heart color) stitch goes into the first heart color stitch of the previous row. In the last few rows it goes into the 2nd heart color stitch of the previous row.

2. 5

Sarah says

I believe the pattern for row 12 should read BBAABBAAAA

Unless I do it this way (and that looks like the way I count it on the images provided) they hearts’ bumps don’t line up. Am I the only wonky one?

3. 7

says

i just finished this hat i increased it from 55 to 60 hdcs to make it a teen/adult size my hearts did not turn out right neither well some did some didn’t i was thinking they didnt all turn out because i am making a bigger hat than this pattern calls for and it doesnt give when to change colors for a 60hdc hat instead it is for a 50hdc hat was just wandering if you could help me out on it–thanks

• 12

Lorene says

I would make the hat portion 55 and increase the border section to 60 stitches (to increase from 55 to 60 you will increase in every 12th sp, on the first sc border round (the row that you change colors for the first time). I would also use a 5.5mm hook instead of a 5.0mm. BE SURE NOT to crochet too tightly. Especially on the border section. If you have any other questions just let me know. Good luck. And welcome to the wonderful world of crochet.

4. 13

says

i remade the hat the same day i messed up on it and it turned out really cute i made it for my aunt and she loves it as well as i do (: thanks!

5. 15

Teresa says

Sizing is my worst enemy. I would love to make this for a 6/12 month as well as an adult. Can you offer some help? Thanks so much for the hat!!

• 16

Lorene says

For the adult increase to 55stitches and make the first part approx 5 inches long. Then change color for border and increase in every 12th sp for 60 stitches. Then follow the rest of the pattern as normal. For a 6-12mo change to 5.5mm hook. Crochet the first section increasing to 35 st and about 2-2.5 inches long, then change color and increase in every 8th st for 40 stitches, then follow the pattern as normal. If you have any problems increasing read this http://cre8tioncrochet.com/2012/12/secrets-to-increasing-in-the-round/

6. 19

Dana says

I am increasing the hat size also and am having trouble with lining up the hearts! Has any one had luck figuring out the hearts for a 60 sc hat? I am sure I can do but am just being lazy :) I keep getting half a heart too much and having a weird amount of non-heart between the first and the last start of the hat on a round. I guess I will do a little paper work for it ! Thanks, the pattern looks adorable!

• 20

Lorene says

You would have to make the first part of the hat 55 stitches, then increase the border part to 60st (by increasing in every 12th sp once you change colors) Then it should line up perfect.

• 21

Lorene says

oh and the hearts are done in 10 stitch increments so any number of stitches divisible by 10 will work the same. Just make sure you are putting the color b stitches into the right place (the pattern will specify, first color b stitch goes into first color b stitch of previous row… etc)

7. 22

Barbara says

Hi,
    I’m am a confessed crochetaholic and proud of it. I just came across your website through AllFreeCrochet (I think) or one of the other free sites. I love your designs, especially the owl hat. Adding the outline around the eyes makes them much cuter than some other designs I’ve seen. Thanks for your free patterns.

8. 28

Sandi says

Love the hat, but I don’t understand the “seamless” method you refer to. I slip stitch into the next stitch, but I don’t chain, and then just make the next stitch in the next stitch??

9. 31

Merryn (@EmHighway) says

Thank you for the pattern. I made one today. It turned out well. I had a difficult time with it. I chose not to use the seamless method since it wasnt working out for me. My hearts werent lining up for either join. I did manage well in the end. I added a stitch when I had to and also had to sc2tog a couple times at least. lol cheated. I love the finished hat. I changed the edging using ch 3,sl in next stitch all the way around. Looks so cute on my little model. My first time graphing. Thank you again.

• 32

Lorene says

I’m glad it worked out for you in the end. I’m sorry my method didn’t work so well for you, but at least you ended up with an awesome finished product!

10. 33

Cathy says

Hi, I love this Valentine Hat! I am going to make one for my granddaughter but I do have a question. I plan on using reflective yarn for the hearts. If I carry the yarn when I do the background color, will the reflective show on the carry part? I hope I am explaining my question. thanks!

11. 35

Sacha says

Thanks so much for the adorable pattern! I had to restart a couple of times before I could get the hearts to line up right. I think that Sarah’s comment above was correct. Row 12 is written as BBAABBAAA, which is only 9 stitches instead of 10 like the other rows. I added another A stitch to make it BBAABBAAAA, and it worked out perfect. Thanks again!

Trackbacks