Valentine’s Day Crochet Hat Pattern- Hearts go Round

by Lorene on January 27, 2013

Hearts go Round
Valentine’s Day Crochet Hat Pattern

Toddler Hat-  fits child 1-2 years old

This Valentine’s Day crochet hat pattern can be made in ANY size.  The body of the hat must be in multiples of 5 (ending in 5, such as 35, 45, 55, etc) and border of hat must be in multiples of 10 (5 stitches larger than hat, 40, 50, 60, etc).  Send me a comment or email if you need help changing size of hat or if you have any other questions.

hearts go round hat

Materials Used:
Red Heart yarn in colors of your choice, at least two but as many as you want
5.0mm hook
tapestry needle for weaving in ends

hearts go round in red

Abbreviations and Stitches used:

mc/r- magic circle/ring

insert hook, yarn over, pull through, (two loops on hook), pull loop closest to hook through other loop

sc- single crochet|
insert hook, yarn over, pull through (two loops on hook), yarn over, pull through both loops

hdc- half double crochet
yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops

yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through first two loops on hook, yarn over and pull through last two loops

Increase- 2 of the designated stitch in one space

Watch this video by Moogly prior to making hat-  How to change colors in the middle of a row

When working in the border and picking up different colors be sure to always pick colors up the same way so that they don’t get tangled.  I pick Color A up from the top and Color B from the bottom, making sure it’s the same each time.  If your yarn happens to get tangled be sure to un tangle (by moving skiens) as you go or else it will be a mess.

When working in the heart portion (border) you will not cut your yarn, it will follow along and be stitched over in each row.

BE SURE not to crochet the heart portion (border) too tightly or to pull the following yarn tight as it will make the hat tight in that section and it won’t fit.

I highly suggest following my seamless method found here for a professional look and to ensure that all the rows line up properly.  Use the 1st method for the border/heart section and the 2nd method for hdc rows and color change rows.

spring flowers valentine 032

1. Mc/r with 10hdc, join round with sl st
  2. Increase (2hdc) in every sp <20hdc>, join round with sl st
  3. Increase in every other sp <30hdc, join round with sl st
  4. Increase in every 3rd sp <40hdc>, join round with sl st
  5. Increase in every 8th sp <45hdc>, join round with sl st
  6. 1hdc in every sp <45hdc> around, join round with sl st
  7. 1hdc in every sp <45hdc> around, join round with sl st
  8. 1hdc in every sp <45hdc> around, join round with sl st
  9. Change to border color (here on referred to as Color A) You will change completely and cut end of hat color.  sc around, increase in every 9th sp <50sc>, join round with sl st
  10. 1sc in every sp <50sc>, join round with sl st
  11. please be sure to read notes before moving on if you haven’t already
  12. 1sc in each of the next four spaces and pick up heart color at the top of 4th st (here on referred to as Color B), do NOT cut Color A, stitch over non working color as you work the heart portion of the hat.  Crochet around as follows *Color B B A A B B A A A A.  Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc> Figure A
  13. 1sc in each of the next 3 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 1st Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B A B B B A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>
  14. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 1st Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B B B B B A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>
  15. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (this time the 1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row, the first stitch will be with Color A) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B B B B A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>
  16. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B B B A A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc> Figure B
  17. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B B B  A A A A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc> Figure C
  18. 1sc in each of the next 2 spaces (1st Color B stitch will go into the 2nd Color B stitch in previous row) and crochet along as follows *Color B B A A A A A A A A. Repeat from * all the way around, join round with sl st <50sc>Figure D
  19. Cut Color B leaving a 6” long tail.  Continue with Color A 1sc in each sp <50sc>.  Crochet over Color B tail for a few stitches to secure.  Join round with sl st
  20. 1sc in every sp around with Color A <50sc>.  Join round with sl st
  21. Change to trim color (tie short tail of trim color to Color A to secure) and ch2, 3dc in same space.  *Skip two spaces and 4dc in next sp.  Repeat from * around entire piece.  Join with sl st to top of ch2.
  22. Weave in all ends.
hearts go round instructional 1 Figure A

Figure B Figure B

Figure C Figure C Figure D Figure D

I hope you enjoyed making this hat with me and I hope that your loved one enjoys it as much as mine does.  I also have a Christmas version of this hat made with Christmas Tree’s you can find the pattern here.  More Go Round hats to come in the future.

close up trees go round adult

I hope you enjoyed this free Valentine’s Day Crochet Hat Pattern.  If you have any questions or need help please feel free to comment on the blog, my fb page or email me.  If you like what you see please share it and as always…

Click HERE for lots more free Valentine’s Day Patterns

I LOVE these hearts!!!!!

cupids cloche free crochet pattern brought to you by Cre8tion Crochet

Happy Valentine’s Hookin’!

Melissa Quinn January 28, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Hello…I love the look of this hat!!! I can’t wait to make it but I need to make it to fit a 8 year old and a 10 year old so about 21-22 inches around…could you please help me with this??
Thank you so very much!!!

Lorene January 29, 2013 at 8:17 am

The sizing charts on this link (at bottom) are very helpful.
But this is what I would do…Make your increasing rounds to 6-6.5 inches in diameter (I’m gonna guess this is probably around 55hdc stitches). The total height on the hat should be between 7.5-8 inches for that age group. The heart portion of hat is approx 3.5 inches. So after you’ve made the hat to the right diameter (6-6.5″) you should continue with that many stitches till it is approx 3-3.5 inches long, then change color to border color, increase stitches to the next mulitple of 10 (if you made the hat portion 55 stitches than increase in every every 12th space on the first border color row to get to 60 stitches) then follow the instructions for the border part lines 12-20). I hope this cleared it up, if not I may be able to test it and write it out for you later tonight. Here is the chart

Melissa Quinn January 29, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thank you for replying to me so fast!!! I have increased the main color to 65 stitches and the started the heart portion increasing to 70 stitches…but the heart pattern was not lining up properly…I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong. Thank you for helping!! :)

Lorene January 29, 2013 at 2:36 pm

what step are you on? Where is it not lining up? are you using my seamless method that is suggested in the pattern? Just pay attention to where the first heart (color b) stitch is supposed to go… the first few rows the 1st color b (heart color) stitch goes into the first heart color stitch of the previous row. In the last few rows it goes into the 2nd heart color stitch of the previous row.

Sarah January 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I believe the pattern for row 12 should read BBAABBAAAA

Unless I do it this way (and that looks like the way I count it on the images provided) they hearts’ bumps don’t line up. Am I the only wonky one?

Lorene January 30, 2013 at 9:24 pm

no its definitely as written. The first border/heart round has 2 heart stitches then two border stitches than 2 heart stitches, the second round has 3 heart stitches, 1 border stitch, and 3 heart stitches. When you are doing the second round make sure that the first heart (color B) stitch is placed into the 1st heart (color B) stitch of previous row. I’ve tested this hat 6x. The stitches are definitely written right. If you like you can email me a picture of your progress and I can try to help you figure out where you are having a problem. My email is [email protected]

nicole January 30, 2013 at 7:44 am

i just finished this hat i increased it from 55 to 60 hdcs to make it a teen/adult size my hearts did not turn out right neither well some did some didn’t i was thinking they didnt all turn out because i am making a bigger hat than this pattern calls for and it doesnt give when to change colors for a 60hdc hat instead it is for a 50hdc hat was just wandering if you could help me out on it–thanks

Lorene January 30, 2013 at 9:19 pm

The hearts not turning out right would have nothing to do with changing size. The heart section is written in increments of 10 stitches so as long as the border/heart section was done in multiples of 10 (which you said it was) than it would work fine. I have tested it in different sizes myself. If your hearts didn’t line up properly it was most likely because the stitches were not put in the right places. (did you follow my seamless method as recommended?) Just pay attention to where you are supposed to put the first color b stitch (each line tells you where you should place the stitch) Send me a picture and I will try to help you figure out where you went wrong. Send it to my email [email protected].

Lauren January 30, 2013 at 7:52 am

This is so cute! Your little model is precious, too!

I hope you’ll link up at Off the Hook!

Lorene January 30, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Thanks… I just wish she would cooperate more. She never wants to model my hats, lol.

Tammy January 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

If I am making a womens adult hat how many stiches should the hat have? I am new at crochet but loving it.

Lorene January 30, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I would make the hat portion 55 and increase the border section to 60 stitches (to increase from 55 to 60 you will increase in every 12th sp, on the first sc border round (the row that you change colors for the first time). I would also use a 5.5mm hook instead of a 5.0mm. BE SURE NOT to crochet too tightly. Especially on the border section. If you have any other questions just let me know. Good luck. And welcome to the wonderful world of crochet.

nicole January 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm

i remade the hat the same day i messed up on it and it turned out really cute i made it for my aunt and she loves it as well as i do (: thanks!

Lorene January 31, 2013 at 8:57 pm
Teresa February 3, 2013 at 8:21 am

Sizing is my worst enemy. I would love to make this for a 6/12 month as well as an adult. Can you offer some help? Thanks so much for the hat!!

Lorene February 3, 2013 at 9:34 am

For the adult increase to 55stitches and make the first part approx 5 inches long. Then change color for border and increase in every 12th sp for 60 stitches. Then follow the rest of the pattern as normal. For a 6-12mo change to 5.5mm hook. Crochet the first section increasing to 35 st and about 2-2.5 inches long, then change color and increase in every 8th st for 40 stitches, then follow the pattern as normal. If you have any problems increasing read this http://cre8tioncrochet.com/2012/12/secrets-to-increasing-in-the-round/

Sara February 4, 2013 at 9:46 pm

This is perfect for Valentine’s Day! Linking up tomorrow at Tangled Happy. Thanks for sharing this pretty pattern! :)

Lorene February 5, 2013 at 10:16 am

Thanks Sara. I appreciate it. I’ve got a couple more Valentine’s Day patterns coming up soon too.

Dana February 6, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I am increasing the hat size also and am having trouble with lining up the hearts! Has any one had luck figuring out the hearts for a 60 sc hat? I am sure I can do but am just being lazy :) I keep getting half a heart too much and having a weird amount of non-heart between the first and the last start of the hat on a round. I guess I will do a little paper work for it ! Thanks, the pattern looks adorable!

Lorene February 6, 2013 at 9:11 pm

You would have to make the first part of the hat 55 stitches, then increase the border part to 60st (by increasing in every 12th sp once you change colors) Then it should line up perfect.

Lorene February 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm

oh and the hearts are done in 10 stitch increments so any number of stitches divisible by 10 will work the same. Just make sure you are putting the color b stitches into the right place (the pattern will specify, first color b stitch goes into first color b stitch of previous row… etc)

Barbara February 26, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Hi,
I’m am a confessed crochetaholic and proud of it. I just came across your website through AllFreeCrochet (I think) or one of the other free sites. I love your designs, especially the owl hat. Adding the outline around the eyes makes them much cuter than some other designs I’ve seen. Thanks for your free patterns.

Lorene February 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Me too, lol. Thank you so much for your compliments.

gigi lee July 21, 2013 at 9:53 am

You must know I appreciate your site and your patterns. Thanks Lorene!

Lorene July 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I do now. Thank you very much!!! I appreciate it!

emma January 8, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hi dear .

This wonderful hat is for what age ?? Thank you!

Lorene January 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Toddler 1-2 yo. Thank you.

Sandi January 13, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Love the hat, but I don’t understand the “seamless” method you refer to. I slip stitch into the next stitch, but I don’t chain, and then just make the next stitch in the next stitch??

Lorene January 14, 2014 at 11:47 am

for the heart section, yes, you sl st into the first st of the round to join… then no chain and just sc into the next st. It will work out fine, but it only works with sc

Sandi January 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Thank you!

Merryn (@EmHighway) January 26, 2014 at 1:03 am

Thank you for the pattern. I made one today. It turned out well. I had a difficult time with it. I chose not to use the seamless method since it wasnt working out for me. My hearts werent lining up for either join. I did manage well in the end. I added a stitch when I had to and also had to sc2tog a couple times at least. lol cheated. I love the finished hat. I changed the edging using ch 3,sl in next stitch all the way around. Looks so cute on my little model. My first time graphing. Thank you again.

Lorene January 26, 2014 at 9:12 am

I’m glad it worked out for you in the end. I’m sorry my method didn’t work so well for you, but at least you ended up with an awesome finished product!

Cathy January 29, 2014 at 7:48 am

Hi, I love this Valentine Hat! I am going to make one for my granddaughter but I do have a question. I plan on using reflective yarn for the hearts. If I carry the yarn when I do the background color, will the reflective show on the carry part? I hope I am explaining my question. thanks!

Lorene January 29, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I believe it would, I don’t know for sure though, I’ve not tried it. Sorry.

Sacha February 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Thanks so much for the adorable pattern! I had to restart a couple of times before I could get the hearts to line up right. I think that Sarah’s comment above was correct. Row 12 is written as BBAABBAAA, which is only 9 stitches instead of 10 like the other rows. I added another A stitch to make it BBAABBAAAA, and it worked out perfect. Thanks again!

Lorene February 5, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I will correct it in the pattern, thank you.

nancy curtis February 10, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I can’t locate the ins for the seamless join. Can you point it out please

nancy curtis February 10, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I have looked again. And have no clue where the seamless method is written

Lorene February 10, 2014 at 9:08 pm