Free Toddler Spring or Easter Hat Shell Stitch Easter Hat with Spring Blossoms

by Lorene on January 31, 2013

Free Toddler Spring or Easter Hat Crochet Pattern
Shell Stitch Easter Hat with Spring Blossoms

free crochet pattern toddler spring hat

This lightweight free toddler spring or Easter hat is made with 100% cotton and is a perfect choice for Spring weather.  This hat is created with dc and dc shell stitches.  The brim has just a slight ruffle and the flowers are a sweet addition.

This pattern is written it toddler size (ages 12-24mo) but can easily be adapted to any size.  This sizing chart is easy to follow and can help you customize this hat to the size of your choice.  Just be sure that the increasing rounds end in increments of 4.  Adult version also available here

free crochet pattern for toddler beach hatphoto courtesy of Chelsea Rich

Special Stitches
mc/r- magic circle/ring (watch this video tutorial)

Materials

5.5mm (I) hook for hat
4.00mm (G) hook for appliques
leaves
rossettes
100% cotton yarn in your choice of colors- link to purchase the yarn I used is at the bottom of this post
embroidery needle

Gauge
1st 2 rounds- 2.5”
Flat Circle- 5.0″

Finished Hat Size:
Lenght (not including brim)- 6.0″
Brim- 1.5″
Circumference- approx 15.5″

Notes

free crochet pattern for toddler spring or summer hat

PATTERN

1. Mc/r with 12dc, join round with sl st
  2. Ch 2.  skip first st. 2dc in next st and in every st around.  Last 2dc will be placed into the sp previously left empty.   Sl st into next dc to join round <24> Should measure 2.5″
  3. Ch 2.  skip first st.  *1dc in next st.   2dc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  Last 2dc will be placed into the st previously left empty.   Sl st into next dc to join round <36>
  4. Ch 2.  skip first st.  *1dc in next st.  1dc in next st.  2dc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  Last 2dc will be placed into the st previously left empty.   Sl st into next dc to join round <48> Flat circle should measure 5″
  5. Ch 2, 3dc in same st.  *Skip 3st.  4dc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  Join round with sl st <12 shells>
  6. Sl st into next st, then sl st into the space between the next two posts (you will be in the center of the 4dc shell).  Ch 2, 3dc in same space.  *Skip next 3 sp.  4dc in next sp.  Repeat from * around.  Join round with sl st <12 shells>
  7. Sl st into next st, then sl st into the space between the next two posts.  Ch 2, 3dc in same space.  *Skip next 3 sp.  4dc in next sp.  Repeat from * around.  Join round with sl st <12 shells>
  8. Sl st into next st, then sl st into the space between the next two posts.  Ch 2, 3dc in same space.  *Skip next 3 sp.  4dc in next sp.  Repeat from * around.  Join round with sl st <12 shells>
  9. Sl st into next st, then sl st into the space between the next two posts.  Ch 2, 3dc in same space.  *Skip next 3 sp.  4dc in next sp.  Repeat from * around.  Join round with sl st <12 shells>
  10. Sl st into next st, then sl st into the space between the next two posts.  Ch 2, 3dc in same space.  *Skip next 3 sp.  4dc in next sp.  Repeat from * around.  Join round with sl st <12 shells>
  11. Change to border color *1hdc in to each of the next three st.  Hdc in hole between shells.  Repeat from * around, join round with sl st <48>
  12. Ch1, skip 1 st.  1hdc in ever st around, last hdc will be stitched into the st previously left empty.  Join round with sl st <48>
  13. Change back to hat color.  ch 2.  skip next st. *2dc in each of next 7 sp.  3dc in 8th sp.  Repeat from * around.  Last 3dc will be placed into the space previously skipped, sl st into the next dc to join round <102>
  14. Ch 2.  skip next st, 1dc in each sp around.  Last dc will be placed into the sp previously skipped, sl st into the next dc to join round <102>
  15. Sl st around entire hat in back loops only.  Fasten off and weave in all ends

Add appliques of your choice.  I used the following
rosettes- 1 medium and 2 small
leaves- medium and small fat bottom leaves, 1 each

spring blossom flower free pattern for toddler sun hat

I hope you enjoyed this free toddler spring or Easter hat crochet pattern, the Shell Stitch Easter Hat with Spring Blossoms.  If you have any questions please comment below or email me at [email protected]

Adult pattern available here

adult spring hat free crochet pattern

Happy ‘Easter’ Hookin’!

You may also enjoy…

Blue Bird/ Yellow Bird

yellow bird blue bird free pattern

toddler sweater pattern

toddler striped sweater free pattern

or a complete list of all my FREE patterns click HERE

free patterns by cre8tion crochet CLICK HERE

help support cre8tion crochet

wendi February 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I am having trouble…when I do round 3 and DC in 1 and skip 1 the whole way around I end p with 24, not 36?

Lorene February 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I think you may have read something wrong, you do not dc in 1 and skip 1 all the way around… the directions say ” Ch 2, skip 1st sp, 2dc in next sp and in every other sp around.” So you will end up increasing in every other st, adding 12 st to the round for 36 st. If you are confused please read the post for seamless rounds http://cre8tioncrochet.com/2012/12/new-weekly-feature/. If you still need help please let me know. Thanks

Lorene February 26, 2013 at 10:25 am

Wendy. I have since realized that the pattern did not call for there to be 1dc in every st with 2 dc in every other (and every 3rd) st. This must of been the confusion. I have since completely rewritten the pattern. For the last couple weeks I have had all of my patterns tested by a group of 25 women to prevent errors like this from happening in the future. I appoligize for the mistakes. I hope you are able to make this hat now!!!

wendi February 27, 2013 at 9:25 pm

That was it:-) thank you so much for your help and the adorable pattern! I can’t wait to get it on my little girl:-)

Lorene February 27, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I just posted the adult version. I’m gonna try to get cute picture of me and my 2yo in matching hats… she absolutely refused to be my model before but maybe if I’m holding her she will keep it on. Funny thing is she’ll wear a hat all day long, UNTIL I get out the camera, then she pulls it off.

CaroleB February 25, 2013 at 8:19 am

Wuld love to make this for myself in adult size. I did read your instructions on how to figure sizing but since I am very new to crocheting I really could not follow it very well. I am hoping you will take pity on me and post the stitch increase for an adult size.
Btw…I love all your patterns and plan to make several in the future.
Thank you so much.

Lorene February 25, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Adult size is being posted this week. Subscribe to the RSS feed so that you get it as soon as its posted!!! I believe it will end up being increased to 60 stitches.

Lorene February 25, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Here… I knew I had done this for someone else, lol
I would increase this way
mc/r with 12dc
dc around increasing in every st for 24dc
dc around increasing in every other st for 36
dc around increasing in every 3rd st for 48
dc around increasing in every 4th st for 60
then begin your shells in the same way the pattern calls (row 5)
Continue the pattern the same way except you will have 15 sets of shells instead of the 12 the pattern currently says.
you may also need to add an additional row or two of shells to make the correct height, it should be approx 6.5-7″ for a women’s adult size (not including the brim). Finish the pattern in the same way (your counts will just be different)

Hope this helps, please let me know if you need any further help.

CaroleB February 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. Can’t wait to get started.

Ingrid March 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Would love this in the adult pattern

Ingrid March 4, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Would like the pattern for adults, Thank you very much. These hats are very cute.

Lorene March 5, 2013 at 7:49 am
Gina March 4, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Does the chain 2 count as a double crochet in your pattern?

Lorene March 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

Which ch2? Can you please tell me what round/line you are referring to?

heba younos January 11, 2014 at 6:57 am

thanks a lot i just start to learn crochet

Elizabeth johnston February 8, 2014 at 11:59 am

Thank you for clearing up the instructions. Will make hat ASAP

Karla February 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Hi I would just like to know what brand of cotton yarn you used because the cotton yarn I normally have and use is kinda heavy and I would like a lighter one for my baby.. This is a rely cute hat and I’m excited to make it for my LO. Thanks

Lorene February 20, 2014 at 11:44 am

Peaches N Cream or Sugar N Cream are the cotton brands used for this hat. They can be purchased in lots of different places. I have also used Cotton from Hobby Lobby called I Love This Cotton.. which is very nice but thinner so will give you a different size. AND cotton from my LYS

Loa Rose Olmstead February 23, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Would like to know bamboo yarn comp
raries with sugar and cream. Love to read your comments sure have cute pattern

Lorene February 23, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I am not familiar with bamboo yarn company, sorry

Zaroga March 29, 2014 at 7:06 am

Approximately how much yarn does it take to do like the mostly solid color… such as the white part of the hat? Just trying to figure out how much yarn to buy.

Lorene March 29, 2014 at 9:13 am

If you are purchasing Sugar & Cream or Peaches & Cream than you only need one skein of the main color!

Renda Revils April 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I’m not able to print the toddler Easter free hat pattern. I subscribed to your site.
Thanks,
Renda Revils

Lorene April 6, 2014 at 8:46 pm

what happens when you try to print it? I’ve sent a copy to your email, sorry, and thanks.

Elisa April 9, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Could you tell me what brand/colors you used for the green hat? I’d like to know both the main color and the pink flower color. I am planning on making one of these for Easter and those colors would be perfect. Thank you!

Lorene April 9, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I can tell you the brand is Peaches & Cream, I do not know the colorway names… I purchased the yarn at Walmart.

Elisa April 10, 2014 at 7:30 am

Thanks! I did a little searching, and it looks like the color “Lime Stripes”. One more thing I forgot to ask, did you use more then one ball?

Lorene April 10, 2014 at 9:53 am

nope, just one skein for toddler size, plus embellishment and band colors

Becki April 13, 2014 at 5:52 pm

This may sound like a dumb question, but forgive me, since I’m rather new to crocheting. Do we turn the work after making the slip stitch to join, then the two chains to start the next round at the end of each round?

Lorene April 13, 2014 at 7:54 pm

no, you do not turn your work. Sl st to join then ch 2 and continue working around in the same direction.