Free Spring Crochet Hat Pattern Beverly’s Cloche in Vanna’s Choice

by Lorene on January 29, 2013

Free Spring Crochet Hat Pattern
Beverly’s Cloche In Vanna’s Choice

This hat is inspired by the cloches of the 1920’s “flapper” era.  Simply stated cloche is defined as a “bell” shape.  As such, a true cloche hat will resemble a bell.  This hat is worn fitted and snug.  Most cloches were trimmed and adorned with a large flower. How you chose you decorate your cloche is up to you.  You can visit our flower repository for some flower idea’s or even come up with your own embellishment.  The possibilities are endless.

This hat can easily be made into any size.  The article on how to design your own custom crochet hat is an awesome sizing guide for making hats.  If you have any questions please comment below or email me at [email protected]

free crochet cloche pattern Beverly in Vanna's Choice #cre8tioncrochet

2 colors of Vanna’s Choice Yarn in your choice of colors
5.0mm hook
Embroidery needle for weaving in ends and securing flower to hat
Spring Blossom flower applique pattern

Special Stitches

mc- magic circle/ring (click HERE for written and video tutorial)

I recommend using my seamless method.  My seamless methods can be found here, follow the instructions for the second method in the hdc rows and when changing colors and use the first method for the sc rows.

You can do the hat, border and trim in any combination of colors that you like, the hat consists of 13 rows of hdc (totaling 45hdc at 5th row) followed by 5 rows of 45sc, one more row of 45hdc followed by one row of 90dc for brim and 1 row of 90sc for trim, brim is ended in one row of 90 sl st.  Color changes can be made anywhere.  I made one of the models using two colors for the border and one using only one color, along with using trim color on one and not on the other.

Gauge:

1st round= 1 ¼”
2nd round= 2 inches (each subsequent round = 1″)
Flat circle (at the end of round 5)= 5″

Hat Pattern:

1. MC/R with 10hdc join round with sl st
  2. 2hdc in every st.  join round with sl st <20>
  3. *1hdc in first st, 2hdc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  join round with sl st <30>
  4. *1hdc in first st, 1hdc in next st.  2hdc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  join round with sl st<40>
  5. *1hdc in first st, 1hdc in next st, 1hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st.  Repeat from * around.  join round with sl st <50>
  6. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  7. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  8. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  9. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  10. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  11. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  12. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  13. 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  14. Change to border color- 1sc in every space , join round with sl st <50>
  15. 1sc in every st, join round with sl st <50> (optional band color)
  16. 1sc in every st, join round with sl st <50> (optional band color)
  17. 1sc in every st, join round with sl st <50> (optional band color)
  18. 1sc in every st, join round with sl st <50> (change back to border color)
  19. Change back to hat color- 1hdc in every st, join round with sl st <50>
  20. 2dc in every st, join round with sl st <100dc>
  21. Change to trim color if you wish- 1sc in every st, join round with sl st <100>
  22. 1sl st in every st <100> Do NOT join round with sl st… use my invisible finish to complete piece.

free crochet pattern Beverly's Cloche in Vannas Choice #cre8tioncrochet

I hope you enjoyed making this Free Spring Crochet Pattern, Beverly’s Cloche in Vanna’s Choice, inspired by a 1920 flappers cloche with me.

free crochet cloche pattern in Red Heart #cre8tioncrochet

Another Cloche pattern for my Red Heart Cloche can be found here.  The possibilities are endless.  If you like what you see please share it and as always…

You may also like…

Zola Bulky Stacked Shell Cowl

Zola Bulky Stacked Shell Cowl FREE pattern from Cre8tion Crochet

any one of my other FREE hat patterns

Free Women's Hat Patterns

Happy Hookin’!!!

© creationcrochet.com 2012.  All rights reserved.

GA Carter March 23, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I made Beverly’s Cloche and did not have those spaces as seen in the above photo. I loved the look of it! How did you achieheve those spaces? P.S. Thanks so much for the lovely patterns.

Lorene March 26, 2013 at 8:40 am

Your welcome… I’m not sure what you mean by spaces? Do you mean between the stitches? You may just crochet differently than me. I tend to hold my yarn with minimal tension… also did you use Vanna’s Choice? Vanna’s yarn works up a little differently than other worsted weight yarns. Thank you!

Daughter of Maat June 7, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Wow, this is one of the most beautiful cloches I’ve seen in a long time. I just love the colors, and the spring blossom really makes them pop! I can’t wait to try this pattern. Thank you so much for posting this.

Lorene June 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm
KaiLi Q. October 1, 2013 at 11:28 am

Hi, love your hats! :}
So… I have a bit (ok, a lot) of a 20′s style fetish, and I really want to make one of these because they’re so pretty looking. But… I don’t have the Vanna’s Choice yarn, which I might get someday because I really would like to make this. What I do have is a nice dark purple Jiffy yarn by Lion Brand. And I thought it would make a nice cloche hat because, not only is it warm but it kindof reminds me of the wool felted hats that were popular then. And, as eager as I was to try to make this hat, it hasn’t come out the right size. Obviously because of the yarn difference and all.. I like to try to experiment. So..here’s the question- would you know, by any chance if there’s any way I could make a really good cloche hat using the Jiffy yarn? Just wondering.. Any help will do. Thanks. ^_^

Lorene October 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Sorry this took so long to answer, I must have missed it some how. I do believe Jiffy would work great!

rajni October 9, 2013 at 2:47 am

This is a lovely beanie….I m trying to make one for myself
myself

Lorene October 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

Thank you, I hope you like it!

KaiLi Q. November 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Oh, no problem. I have been trying to work on this hat for quite a while, but I think I got it down pat. Just about done with it, and I’ve tweaked round or two of your pattern for the blue hat on the top, (and lots of trying it on) to see how it will fit and so forth. I did Rnds 1-5, and repeated Rnd 5, but with 1hdc in the next 4 sts, and 2 hdc in the next st around. Then I proceeded to do the 1 hdc in each st around for the next 8 or 9 Rnds. Then, right before I got to the band part, I took out one round, and working the opposite way, I made what is supposed to look like the beginning of the band. That was with the Jiffy yarn. Then the next rnd, I’ve been wanting to have a nice black band to go with it, which was about 3 or 4 rnds of the Caron Simply Soft. Then right after that, the same rnd of the Jiffy yarn, as the band. Then, where I am now, is the brim. So, my finicky hat is almost done. All that was done with an I Hook (because I sorta have a big head. Runs in the family) :p I’ll put up a pic when it’s done.
Thanks a bunch! :)

Lorene November 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm

awesome, can’t wait to see it.

Janet November 3, 2013 at 4:40 pm

New to crochet what MC/R mean? Thank you :-)

Lorene November 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Magic Circle/ Ring I have a really easy to follow video and written tutorial here — >

rosmina tobing February 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Thank you for posting some of beautiful hats. i love it, and plan to make it for my niece.