Childs Slouch Hat with Ribbed Edge

by Lorene on December 4, 2012

003                            004

This slouch hat is designed to fit a young child (5-8 years old) but can easily be modified to fit anyone.  For pattern help visit us on facebook

Red Heart yarn in your choice of color (approx 1/6 of a skein)
5.5mm hook

Abbreviations and Stitches Used:

mc- magic circle/ring- watch my video tutorial HERE

hdc- half double crochet-
yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over, pull through all three loops

fpdc- front post  double crochet
yarn over, insert hook behind post of stitch from bottom to top, yarn over pull through (three loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 1st two loops (two loops now on hook), yarn over and pull through all loops on hook

dec2tog- decrease 2 together (all done with double crochet in this application)
insert hook into space yarn over pull through, insert hook into next space, yarn over and pull through 1st two loops, yarn over and pull through both loops left on hook

When using the seamless method (link in pattern) the decreasing rounds may seem strange at first .  Each dec2tog will go into the space where it was done in the previous row.  This place will move as you work your way around the hat.  It should be easy to locate space though.  If you are having a hard time doing decreasing rounds with seamless method you can change to your normal way of crocheting in the round to finish decreasing rounds.  If you have any questions please inbox me on facebook or email me at [email protected]

002  can you see any seams???
Use my seamless method, link in pattern.

1. Mc/r with 10hdc
  14. Dc in every st but dec2tog at every 5th  st <50>
  15. Dc in every st <50>
  16. Dc with fpdc in every other st around
  17. Dc with fpdc in every other st around
  18. Dc with fpdc in every other st around
  19. Finish with single crab stitch around

To finish off add button and flowers

Simple Flower Pattern:

1. 10sc in mc/r.  sl st to join but do not pull tight
  2. *ch 1 and into next sp crochet as follows, 1hdc, 2dc, 1hdc, 1sc.  Sl st into next space and repeat from * four  more times.  fasten off
  3. check that hole is right size for button and fasten center and weave in ends

007       008

Layer flowers for an even cuter look!

I hope you enjoyed cre8ting this with me and as always

have FUN and happy hookin’

If you like what you see SHARE it!

Renee Griffin December 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

This is so cute Lorene! Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I’m going to make one this week thanks again to you. By the way, I love green. ;)

Lorene December 22, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Sorry, somehow I missed this comment. Glad you liked it. How did it work out for you? I’d love to post a pic to the blog of your finished product.

Cyndi Broesel July 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm

This is the page I found the error on. Hope it helps you find it. Thanks for your help and quick response.

Lorene July 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I fixed it.. I totally write my patterns differently now too, I will have to go back and re write the entire thing, lol. Thanks

Mary July 20, 2013 at 10:38 am

What would you recommend for a sale price. I never know would love and idea I think I price too low but I never know. Thanks

Lorene July 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm

All of my new patterns include a recommended sale price, but my older one’s do not… I hope to go back and add all the new information to all of my old patterns as well. I sell this hat for $18 without the flowers $20 including two interchangeable flowers. Plus shipping!

Andi September 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I would like to make this slouchier… where would you suggest repeating rows for more slouch?

Lorene September 15, 2013 at 8:28 am

increase by more rows, so after row 9, increase in every 9th st for the next round, then every 10th st for the next round… then be sure to decrease by the same amount, so after increasing do your decreases, starting by decreasing in every 10th st, then 9th st, then 8th ect.

OR you can increase by the same amount but just add rows (in between increases and decreases).

each will give you a different look

Diane October 29, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I would like to make this hat for my niece. She will be a year old her head measured 19 inches can you tell me how to modified this pattern. Thanks

Lorene October 31, 2013 at 10:16 am

The only thing I can say is to add a few increase rounds and a few decrease rounds (same number of increase and decrease). I’m having a family emergency today so I am unable to help more, sorry!